1972 schwinn heavy duti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
just scored this for 70 dollars at the local antique mall i was able to talk him down 10 bucks from 80 but it has been sitting there for a long time well after moving some really heavy woodworking equipment i got paid today and decided it has to come home to me
so i drove over to the antique mall and offered 70 of which the guy accepted and i took her home aired up the tires ad was out riding it tonight this is the cleanest bike i ever bought untouched i was going to klunk it because of the heavy duty wheels but decided to keep it as it is i believe it is original right down to the tires and it would be a crime against nature to turn such a clean untouched beautiful bike into a klunker so it will stay as it sits Schwinn was onto something with this one it is smooth rider even though it does need servicing due to sitting at the antique mall for at least a year and i do not know how long before that so tomorrow i am going to oil it clean it and see if i can massage the small dent out of the front fender and ride it as it is more pics to come
18901416_1400034353373904_405661175_o.jpg
18870051_1400034503373889_875641658_o.jpg
18901302_1400034373373902_1658001253_o.jpg
18901305_1400034506707222_1552202573_o.jpg
18926160_1400034423373897_214405297_o.jpg

:thumbsup: I've seen many yellow ones but not many Black , cool Score.
thanks i also stand corrected this particular model is a 71 after googling the images almost every 71 i saw was exactly like this one but i still love it been wanting one of these for awhile and this particular one for over a year it sat at the antique mall finally today was the day she came home with me

Nice find! And it's all there! When you clean it up, be careful of the lettering that it doesn't rub off. I cleaned up a 64 black American, the Schwinn paint and chrome is outstanding. After cleaning with dish soap and water, all I did was wax it with paste car wax and it shone like new.

The serial number will provide the year. If it's on the lower part of the head tube, it's 1970 or later. On the left dropout, pre-1970. Those models looked the same for many years. That chain wheel was first used in 1969. So the serial number is the best way to find the date of manufacture. The lists are here:
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

Last edited:
Nice find! And it's all there! When you clean it up, be careful of the lettering that it doesn't rub off. I cleaned up a 64 black American, the Schwinn paint and chrome is outstanding. After cleaning with dish soap and water, all I did was wax it with paste car wax and it shone like new.

The serial number will provide the year. If it's on the lower part of the head tube, it's 1970 or later. On the left dropout, pre-1970. Those models looked the same for many years. That chain wheel was first used in 1969. So the serial number is the best way to find the date of manufacture. The lists are here:
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html
thanks wildcat i am probably not going to mess with the painted area much just some warm water and mild cleaner i did clean some of the chrome up and serviced it it looks good the way it is probably all the cleaning i will do to it i do not want to wash off the white letter paint it rides excellent i love riding it it is actually pretty smooth for a heavy duty i expected it to be alot harder to ride but its not

It should be a nice ride, the Heavy Duty usually carried a load when used as an industrial bike, so the gearing should be just right for cruising. It may be the same as the other models, I'm not sure if the cog has an extra tooth or not.

Super score! :113:

Jason
thanks rustygold it has become one of my favorites such a smooth ride and very comfortable it is possibly one of the cleanest ones i ever found in the wild well it was at an antique store but it still remains untouched as far as i can see '

serial number is cho46727 according to the link wildcat shared with me that would make this march 1972 so now i know the year thanks wildcat it has become my favorite bike to ride i love it so comfy and easy for cruising i will have to try the hill test next and see how well it does on a hill

Latest posts

Back