1976 Sears Hi Riser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Just completed this one! This bike was acquired at a garage sale. It was funny because they had this bike tucked away behind several newer MTB's for sale. When I asked if they wanted to sell this bike, they looked at me funny and said I can have it. Being into fair play I told them I would pay for it. We finally decided on the pricey sum of $5.00. I got it home and broke one of my rules by immediately tearing it down without taking before pictures. :( While going through what I wanted to replace and what I wanted this project to look like finished, I did all of the research I could on the bike. At first I thought it might be part of the coveted Sears Spyder line. In all my efforts I kept coming up just short of declaring it a Spyder. Then one day an antique shop was closing and was having a huge sell. I went over to the book section and they were selling crates of Sears catalogs for couple of bucks. I took one of each year and to my surprise I found this bike, pictured on the left, in the 1976 Spring/Summer edition. Hey and check out those early BMX Bikes on the right! Enough talk....here's the pics!

searsruggedhiriseraj8.jpg

1976 Sears Rugged Hi Riser Bike pictured on the left

bikeframes002zn4.jpg

My frame

searsmuscle003cc6.jpg

Here is the seat and sissybar, which can give you and idea of what the condition of the rest of the bike was in.

searsmuscle011sz9.jpg

The fender was painted over with silver paint.

searsmuscle006sd2.jpg

The front and rear wheel where both weather worn and the spokes were oxidized.

searsmuscle014ne2.jpg

So here is the frame after removing the paint. I found that the bike had been painted twice over the original paint. Blue and white over the original red.

searsframeprimedlv8.jpg

Now she sits with a few coats of nice primer.

searswheels016hm9.jpg

While some of the work goes on in my shop(That's what we call the garage :wink: ) I do enjoy popping in a movie and sitting on my couch and building a wheel. So I picked up some new stainless steel and LBS and got to work.

searswheels017xs4.jpg

The finished product!

searsproj001nz6.jpg

Well what do you know? Look what happened while building the wheels! What this doesn't happen to you? LOL...
I finished the bike with automotive grade medium garnet metallic, which has a slightly warmer tone than the original.

searsproj010ne2.jpg

Goodies day! The day I get to open everything I have been ordering for this bike for several months.

searsproj027mw8.jpg

An NOS speedometer I had to have for this bike! We wanted these when we were kids. Now I finally got one!

searsproj082yl8.jpg

She starting to go together. I replaced the original fork which was rusted through at the race with a springer. Only the spoiled brats had a springer in my neighborhood! So now I have one of those too! So there!

And now the finished product!
searsproj094qx4.jpg

The front wheel was fitted with a street brick whitewall and the rear has a whitewall slick.

searsproj102nq0.jpg

A look from the drivers seat!

Here is the bike as a whole. New handlebars, grips, mirrors, seat, seat post, sissy bar, stem, headset, bottom bracket, crankset, chain, pedals and fenders.

searsproj085gc1.jpg

searsproj098dx8.jpg

searsproj099xm5.jpg

searsproj097zt8.jpg

searsproj100kk0.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

great find and great build!!! looks killer!

small note on the ads : when you read the description for the 'motocross-style bicycles' it ends with "not intended for off-road or stunt riding" 8)

Now that is a sweet bike. Job well done. Now let's see some more mileage on that speedo!! Lol.

MagicRat said:
Sweet!

How tall is your sissy bar? I cant decide on 36" or 42" for mine.

Hey Magic Rat. Thanks for the props! That is a 42 inch sissy bar and it's set as low as it will go without modification. The way this bike sits now an adult or teenager could ride it. But these days kids are bigger than we were so probably someone younger could ride it as well. Must be something in the milk!

Markm said:
where did you score that sissybar??????

Hey Markm, What's up? I got that sissybar from Curtis over at Chaingang Lowrider in Calgary. Thanks for the props!

Thanks for the compliments all! I probably won't be riding this one much, I am going to sell her locally because as you know, this one will pay for the next project! lol.....That's what keeps my hobby going. I am working on a fixed gear at the moment as well and should be done with that within the next couple of weeks or so. Got a couple of older bikes in the attic that I am gearing up for. Thanks again all, I'm glad you like my work.

Ahhh! beautiful bike!

Nice resto!

Back