1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (FAT GUY PHOTO & VIDEO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (6/7 UPDATE)

A little more progress this evening. Decided to pull the Shimano coaster brake appart....pretty dirty inside.

Shiny hub waiting for parts to finish soaking in Simple Green. :mrgreen:

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Anyone care for a Jedi Coaster Brake Cocktail? :lol:

DSC_0007-2.jpg

Got my pedals in the mail today too...

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Re: 1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (6/8 UPDATE)

I also think I figured out why the front hub housing is bent like it is...one of the front forks has zero resistance when you push in on it and the other one does spring.

I know diddly about shocks...how do you put oil in these things?

DSC_0008-2.jpg

hey man looking good same stage im at with mine your front shocks are perfectly fine thats how they where made to save weight they only put the push back spring in one shock but when mounted togahter the one will contorl both and the oil goes in the bolt hole at the very top if you take that bolt out tip it upside down and compress it you will have all the old oil shot out.

yup only one spring in the front.. bent axles were the norm on those.. :roll:

Thanks guys!

Just trying to find someone who can repair the fork now.

Uncle Stretch said that it's a little trickier than normal since it's made from cast iron. Says you have to heat the cast iron up until it is red hot and then weld it.

no problem the cast is a little tricky to weld if you don't know how but its very easy to do if you heat it up like you said weld it and then this is where what you do will determan if your weld with crack you need to bring the temp down slow by reheating with torch several times a little less each time but personally i like to use a BBQ makes it very contorled with bring it down good luck you shouldn't have a problem!

Where did you get your peddles is there anywhere to find parts for these bikes or is it just what other people have for sell is whats for sell?

Dropped the frame off at the powder coater today and made a decision to keep the bike Yamaha Yellow.

I decided that if I ever wanted to sell the bike off I'd have a harder time since they didn't make an orange version in 76.

The frame and handlebars are supposed to be ready in the morning so hopefully I'll have some photos to post tomorrow.

I did stop by a welding shop on the way home from work today and had a guy fix the crack in the fork bracket. He did it while I waited and only charged me $25 to do it.

He said that he heliarc welded it with stainless and that seemed to do the trick. Just need to grind down the weld a bit to smooth it out.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Also managed to get the back wheel put back together...hopefully it still stops. :lol:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Got my AME CAM grips in today too.

DSC_0043.jpg

That spring in the Shimano coaster makes re-assembly kind of tricky doesn't it.

I'm hoping mine stops too. :D

Got the frame back today from the powdercoater...."Mirror Orange"....nobody will miss this bike...ha ha! :lol:

I decided to have him do a flat finish on it because I just thought it would look cool with the orange color.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Had the bars powdercoated too and found me some matching OURY BMX grips...they look closer to the orange on the frame than these photos show.

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

Got the 20" x 2.125" ARAYA front wheel last week with a SUZUE hub. Waiting on a new front axle to arrive. Also installed a new set of Kenda Knobbies.

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

Here's the repro decal set that came in...pretty much exact replicas...

DSC_0001-1-1.jpg

Re: 1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (6/18 UPDATE)

I still need to do the following...

1. Polish up all the hardware.
2. Find a 6.5" crank to replace the bent original.
3. Install the decals.
4. Figure out what to do for the seat.
5. Order a new chain.
6. Put it all back together.

Re: 1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (6/18 UPDATE)

looking good steve, like the color too, would look better with some dirt on it though :mrgreen:

play safe :)

orange1198171214476aa44ebc829.jpg

Re: 1976 YAMAHA MOTO BIKE PROJECT (6/19 UPDATE)

this thing is looking sweet. Ive never seen one in person. Is it big enough for you to ride it when its done?

It's a 20" bike and probably not as large as some 80s model BMX bikes, but with the seat high enough I can ride it.

This is more about the joy of bringing something cool back to life. :wink:

Looks 10 times better with the fresh paint 8)

Back