1977 schwinn scrambler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may be interested in selling this, but I want to know more about it first. It does not have a serial # anywhere on it. I am guessing it to be '77 because the original scrambler handlebars were stamped '77. They were also bent beyond repair, so I put on these old school aluminum redline handlebars. These are the best handlebars I have ever used. They have never slipped. They have a very unique shape to the center section. They will only work with this stem. I believe the forks were a factory "upgrade" I welded on a bracket for a disc brake. It was only welded on the ends, so it could easily be removed. The rear hub is shot.

The really interesting part about this frame is the fact that I cannot find a serial # and the tubes are a larger diameter than I have seen schwinn use. The frame has some electro-welds but has some real welds too. Look closely at the headset and the crank area. It also never had a kickstand of any kind.

I would like to know more about it befor I sell it. Thanks for any advice or offers.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

Wow, that's pretty cool... the seat is amazing! That'd look sick on a customized Orange Krate...

Thre used to be a big sticker on the seat tube. I don't remember what it said. I don't think it was factory. I left the one on the top tube because I liked it.

Thanks for the fillet brazed info. That is definitly what it looks like.

so how many munchos do you want for it ? :)

trade for a stingray mabey ? let me know ! 8)

Not fillet brazed. Plain Jane Mag Scrambler frame, or they even used this frame for the Phantom Scrambler and 36/36 models for some years.

Disc brake setup! :shock: On a cool fork. Wow.

The stem is worth it though. How much for the whole thing?

PM an offer. Everything on it is in good shape except the rear hub and rear v brakes. The cups inside are shot. Hub needs to be replaced. I the brakes just need some tlc. I have a bolt on bracket for a rear disc brake I can send with it too.

The Redline "brute" stem is worth more than the bike. Put it on ebay and put some other double clamp stem on that bike.

Also the head tube juncture does look fillet-brazed and judging by the other DIY stuff going on the front traingle may have been chopped off and a new longer one added. A stock frame would also have a head tube gusset. A regular Scrambler frame is entirely electro-forged except for one sloppy seagull-poop weld at the top tube/ seat tube juncture, which is where Scramblers break (love those lifetime warranties). The stock frame tubes are 1" dia. and the serial # would be on the head tube. The bigger tubes, fillet-brazing, and lack of serial # suggest that someone has modified the frame.

You should really post this bike on vintagebmx.com and let the (pre) old school gurus take some guesses at what it is.

The bike is all original paint. what's left anyway. No gussetts ever. I did find a serial number. It was on the front of the head tube directly under the badge. It was stamped very lightly and the paint almost completly hid it. it starts with FW.... Thanks for the info on the stem. I would not have known what it was called other than redline.

I have a friend who has a scrambler. His frame is slightly longer has a smaller diameter top tube. It has no gussett either. His has the smooth transitions on the frame around the head tube. And his also has a place for a kickstand.

Oops, they didn't get the gusset until 1979. After looking at some of the no-gusset Scramblers, I'm most likely wrong about it being modified.

But that stem is worth quite a bit.

I just PM'd a mod over at the bmxmuseum site to ask for help with price. Here is how the bike sits now. I will post a price here too when I get a message back from bmxmuseum. I may sell just the bars as well.

IMG_2201-1.jpg

IMG_2202-1.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

They were motomag wheels. many of the decorative cross pieces were broken, so I cut them out. I had them up for sale before I did that, but I got no interest in them.

I still have the frame/fork, seat, handlebars and stem If anyone is intersted in those.$75 for the stem and bars, $30 for the frme and fork, $20 for the seat. $45 or best offer for the disc brake and hub, caliper and lever. It is a 36 hole hub. plus actual shipping.

Back