1978 Heavy Duti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago, I returned home from the grocery store with the kids and noticed something yellow at the curb down the street. As I unloaded the bags, my spidey sense told me there was a bike. Not sure what kind it was, I immediately dispatched my eight year old to investigate as I unloaded the groceries, and she soon returned pushing a rusty Heavy Duti with apehanger bars and two flats. I got all giddy inside and quickly put the bags in the house. It was mine, all mine! I've been wanting one for a long time and now its mine! (Still a little giddy) I worked on it a little here, a little there. Stripped the paint and lacquered the bare steel, marveling at the electroforged construction the whole time. Took the wheels all apart and painted the rims, cleaned the hubs and spokes, and relaced them. Swapped out the seat (didn't feel like welding the broken part) and the bars, and here we are. Original everything except seat and bars. Strong as heck; solid. Feels really good to ride, smooth. It will never cease to baffle me as to why someone would throw away such a fine thing, its like skipping rocks with chunks of real gold. But, I must say, I'm glad they did. Because its mine now, all mine...hehehe (twirling the ends of my imaginary villainous mustache).
before_after.jpg

I used to have one just like that. About a month ago I had just run over some glass and got two flats. I parked it by the curb to run inside to get my tools and patch kit when the phone rang. When I got back outside the bike was gone. Too bad. I really loved that bike.

Hey, I see you live in Garden City too!

Back