1979/80 Schwinn Spitfire 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the same bike that was marketed as a Klunker 5 in certain markets? Positron "index" shifting even :D
SpitfireSide.JPG

SpitfireDrum.JPG

SpitfireGuard.JPG

Yes sir it was! You hit it right on the head! :mrgreen:

In late 1979 or early 1980 I was 14 years old, lived in Corpus Christi, TX, and rode an old 26" Schwinn (probably a Typhoon) all over town. I wore out several sets of tires on that bike, averaging about 15 miles a day, close to 365 days a year. One night I installed a set of spoke lights, and went down the street to test them out. A dog chased me, and as I tried to outrun him, I hit a parked Buick Skylark. I bent the flatblade forks back far enough the bike wasn't steerable; I was thrown over the roof of the car and hit the pavement hard enough to knock me out cold. I had a severe concussion and got to miss school for the rest of the week.

So... the trusty old Schwinn made a trip to the dealer to have the forks straightened. That cost $10. While I was there, I fell in love with a black Spitfire. My dad decided that it was time for me to have a new bike, so we borrowed a station wagon to pick it up, and headed in to buy it. At the last minute I spotted the 5 speed version, and got dad to spring for the upgrade. My Spitfire 5 was black, with fenders and whitewalls. I added a light set that included turn signals. That was the only bike I ever had registered, and I remember the fireman who inspected it asking if it was hard to pedal. Within a few months the spokes loosened, and I pulled the rims to have them trued. The bike never got reassembled, somebody stole the frame while it was chained to the front porch.

It's cool finding this thread about another black Spitfire 5, but I'm afraid now I'll have to find one for myself. I've missed that bike for way too long.

Back