1979 Huffy Pro Thunder 3 with a Twist.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are some pics of my recently completed Pro Thunder 3. I picked it up off of C-List. It was a basket case but it was the right color for what I wanted. I had one of these as a teen, cut grass for 2 summers to get it. I did the checkerboard pad thing and some other "trendy at the time" things to it and freaking rode it everywhere. I loved it but one day was careless with it. Went inside a Fast Fare (think 7-11) and when I came out, the Thunder was gone. Stolen right out from in front of the store in a blink of the eye. Fast forward ahem, a few years, and I find this baby. I got to have it so I can build the bike that once was part of my past. It's not done back to original but does have some cues of old mixed with a few modern updates. Pics:

DSCN3044-001.jpg

DSCN3046-001.jpg

DSCN3048-001.jpg

DSCN3047-001.jpg

The re-paint is back to original but I had new decals made with a different font. The head tube decal is a modified "H" in the same colors. Some other differences I did was re-lacing the wheels with white spokes. I also replaced the stock stem with a Mongoose double clamp. I painted replacement cranks white to match the frame and contrast the red rat-traps. The original cranks were seriously bent. I added a red chain, painted the seat tube red and replaced the stock seat with a modern style Huffy seat. Period correct AME grips were used along with an MX brake system. The checkerboard pads were an absolute must although I'm not liking the mis-matched checkerboard size. The frame and stem pads are the same size checks but the v-bar pad checks are smaller. Any body have a v-bar pad in the larger check size? :mrgreen: The tires are bigger and a touch more modern than the originals. The stock 1.75 size looked way under-sized and I wanted to get a 1.95. My buddy at the LBS had these 2.10 Tioga Power Block tires sitting under a pile a dust and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse to get them out of his shop. They look a touch bigger than I had hoped but they ride so nice! Thanks for reading!

Back