1980 Schwinn cruiser 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just picked this one up.. It had no seat so i threw this old S seat on it. Ran the #s and came back Aug. 1980. Going to clean it up and regrease and put new cables on 8)
013_zps1c0e8eea.jpg
014_zps5a70f4fe.jpg
015_zpsa29773fd.jpg
016_zps6968093f.jpg

I went to put new black brake and gear cables and gear lever on today. put the brake cables on no problem, then the new shift lever (old one was broke) then went to put on new gear cable only to find it does not have a cable but a solid rod :shock: so i researched Shimano positron II. I have never seen a derailer with no return spring it locks into position and the shift rod has to pull as well as push. I read it was one of the first index shift designs. so i cleand up the white shift rod and reused it and after getting it all adjusted it shifts like a dream :D :D . I was able to finally take it on a little ride and i must say it rides GREAT
002.jpg

Just put mine up for sale on craigslist...........its been a good bike il miss it if sum 1 buys it :(

Back