1982 Murray Monterey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's nothing special but my first older bike purchase. It's kind of a beater but it's ride-able and will be a decent parts bike in the future. I'm pretty sure the head tube has been painted trying to match the fenders that probably aren't original to the bike. I'm guessing they are Schwinn. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I feel a little cramped so I may put a lean back post on or just bend this one and some small apes or something like that. Definitely losing the fenders and reflectors, maybe get a better looking saddle and a fresh rattle can paint job. Something to rat it up a little anyway.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Markm said:
Right On! Looks like you could flip the seat "guts" back and gain an inch or so..
If it's rail mount you can slide it back even further. That, and maybe raise it some.

Cool, mine is a 90's which is my favorite bike I had my whole life.

What is the wheel size if it's a 24 so I can know what mine could have been since I don't know after someone stole them years ago?

What is the wheel size
They are 26", no stamps or id on the wheels though.

The seat has flat rails that are about out of rearward adjustment, I might get 1/2"-3/4" adjustment. Flipping the guts sounds good, I'll give it a go.
I actually lowered the seat quite a bit. I felt like I was sitting up too high over the bars. Maybe I'm just too used to my MTB, but it even felt goofy compared to my wife's cruiser.

Hmm, seeing that one I guess I was wrong about the head tube and fenders. Something funky is going in with the paint on my head tube. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the fenders yet. The front one is a little munched. I haven't tried to do anything with it yet. This weekend I might tear down some and clean up stuff and really see what I've got.

Took the steel wool and WD40 to the chrome and been cleaning the rest of it and it's looking a lot better. It now has no front fender, reflectors or chain guard. I'm probably going to tear down and paint it but at least it looks better.

Back