1987 flashback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this 1987 GT Performer two weeks ago. I have wanted this bike since I was a kid in 87. Of course the GT was too much money so I got a Schwinn instead. I was pretty excited when I finally saw one on craigslist. It was a little rougher than I wanted but at least I have one now. I can always pick up a nicer one sometime in the future or just keep on replacing parts on this.
Here it is today after new tires, different wheels, different seat, hand grips and lots of spray paint and overspray removal.
I have new white hand grips, brake cables and pads coming in the mail. Next will be pedals, brake levers and maybe a gyro if this one doesn't free up.
This bike looks good from 10 feet away.
I had to get the old skateboard out since it is the same year and same color. This was mine as a kid.

Here is what it looked like fresh from the barn then with better looking tires.

Awesome! When that's all cleaned up you will need sunglasses to look at it in the sun.

I wish I would have bought a bunch of skateboard decks back when I was a kid. I had a bunch of booklets from California cheap skates which were thrown out long ago. I wish I had those today. They had all the decks pictured. Cool stuff.

Very nice find, glad you stuck with the og finish. Just needs that seat post clamp up higher

i miss my cabalero board. My uncle told me for years that he knew the guy. when i asked him if he could get me a skateboard he told me yes i can no problem, then we fell out of touch. about 20 years later i confronted my uncle and he took me to a room in his house(that he built himself) and there was the exact same board as yours mint condition. I being blown away took it outside and tried to do a bomb drop on it, as i was in the air i was thinking how awesome it felt to get one finally, then i realized i was no longer 140 lbs but a good 350. i burried the board next to my first pet. i was so pissed that i broke it but atleast i got to ride it once... well kinda haha.

Betting I built and sold a 100 of the Performers! Cool find and that is really in GREAT shape compared to what I have been offered by my "old" friends....Know of a pair, 1 white and 1 pink for $500.00 and they both are in worse shape.....You did well!

Back