2.125 on a 3 1/4'' rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got a 2.125 on a 3 1/4'' rim. It took some work. It didn't just jump on there.
I tried a ching shien or whatever they are called. It didn't seem to want to stretch that wide.
This time I used a Kenda flame. One of the ones with the silly colored flames on it. I used a
3'' tube instead of a regular 26 one. It wanted to start coming off the bead before the part
around the air valve got seated. I kept sticking a little air in and letting it back out till I got all
the bead the same. Then hit it with air. I took some lacquer thinner on steel wool and got the
dumb little flames off of the tire. Its not the best combination but at least I did get a 2.125 on
a wide rim.
DSCF0002_zps5d37d4b4.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Well I finally got a 2.125 on a 3 1/4'' rim. It took some work. It didn't just jump on there.
I tried a ching shien or whatever they are called. It didn't seem to want to stretch that wide.
it was hard to put on ? is not it the same diameter? i had no problem doing it ..on a 2.5"rim at least
DSCN4695.jpg

I think the problem I had was the side wall on that chin shin was so stiff
it wouldn't let the tire expand sideways . It was wanting to jump off the
rim before it spread out. I was given a set of Quick Bricks today and they
went right on and looked good too. They are 2.125....They make me smile :wink:
So got a couple sets of wide backs with a nexus 3 speed and a narrow front.
DSCF0002_zps892b1dda.jpg

came out great. i do hope that bontragers can handle those kind of rims so i can try to have one.

Looks like a sidewall being flexible makes the difference. If its not then the tire will
want to raise up with the tube instead of opening up and being wide.
Glad everybody likes these. They do look good for a 2.125

It might be the tire profile. The Chen Shings have a squareish shape at the transition from the tread to sidewall all of the other tires are basically a round profile with no molded in square transition tread to sidewall.
Gary

I was messing around with a wide rim.... Had two junk rims and welded then together.... Used two tubes and it works great at stretching the tire to fit... Plus two rims side by hold two tubes pretty well... Haven't figured how to lace it up yet... Was a little tuff getting the tire over the double rim lips

Back