2 1979 Stingrays

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b4ib95.jpg

I just scored these two for $40 and noticed the serial numbers. JQ559527 and JQ557724 with badge numbers 2719 and 2749. So I think they are just days apart. Is this significant? I've screwed up a couple classics in my day or collectibles, by cleaning or breaking things and then finding out when it's too late. The bikes were outside or in bad storage for years so there not the prettiest but have not been wrenched since they were built. Just need seats, grips and terz so should I just go for it or is there a need to give em a better home?

By the way, where are you at? RRB member 'Pick' has got me into the giving mood for next Christmas. I'm going to look for cheap resto projects to do for needy kids. Bikes that are complete, but need elbow grease.

you definately need to give them a better home.

need my address ?

CRASH said:
By the way, where are you at? RRB member 'Pick' has got me into the giving mood for next Christmas. I'm going to look for cheap resto projects to do for needy kids. Bikes that are complete, but need elbow grease.

Good for you buddy, you have the bug now! :D Trust me, you will not be disappointed. 8)

pick said:
CRASH said:

Good for you buddy, you have the bug now! :D Trust me, you will not be disappointed. 8)
Don't congratulate me yet. I haven't done a darn thing except like what you've done! :lol:

I posted up in FFinds because I questioned the rarity or collectability (is that a word?). I was wondering how rare it is to get numbers so close. I would sell them together but will list them in another forum. I've already hit em with some bolt loosener (word?) and will try and break em down for frame blasting. I just want to make sure before I screw em up they didn't deserve better. There isn't a shortage of kids I can find to ride em, especially kids over 40. Thanks for the posts.

Close number bikes do happen. I have a set of matching cruisers that has been kept together since they was built. closer picks will help people give you an idea of what kind of restoration you should do. If the paint isnt in super rough shape I would polish the chrome and clean up the paint and only replace what needs replaced

Hi Bobby Jimmy,
I just had a set of these myself. Let's face it Stingrays will always have value, however the later they are the less desirable, the fact the serial and badge number are that close it's cool but I don't think that would weigh a lot into it on these. I can't tell buy your pic. Overall condition, but I will say original seats for these I have found to be a little pricey, if the paint is decent I would clean them up, lube the moving parts, throw on a couple new seats and grips and flip em or enjoy them. You made a great deal, good luck.

Back