2 I saw at the junkyard today....should I go for it or pass?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running late so I made a quick dash thru the scrapyard and saw these two. The Schwinn looked cool as can be at a distance, I thought I'd found a gem.....but it's pretty rough. I know nothing about Schwinns and can't id them or what year they are but the head badge says Chicago. The frt forks are bent. The seat post and stem have been spot welded but no other problems...should be able to grind off the welds easy. It's ratty but cool...maybe yard art if nothing else??. Both have 26" wheels.

5e74ad26.jpg

This one has a few things I thing I could use. I know I need the brakes and maybe the basket for my gf's bike.

816661e0.jpg

Scrap value is usually about $5.00 each. I thought no today...but I'm thinking the Schwinn might be worth the effort. It would cost less if I took the wheels off cuz they sell by weight.

Those Schwinn wheels look like the middleweight S7's. Only 1 size of tire is available for them.

I'd most definitely grab the Schwinn, Looks very similar to my '58 American but they made that style from the '50's through the '80's so it's anyone's guess unless you have the serial #

I definitely wouldn't drop the wheelset on the Schwinn. There might be good chrome under that paint and you can easily make a few bucks off them alone :wink:

Jpromo said:
I definitely wouldn't drop the wheelset on the Schwinn. There might be good chrome under that paint and you can easily make a few bucks off them alone :wink:

Very true, in fact sometimes the paint preserves the chrome.

dang i need to walk through a scrap yard and see if i find anything like that i nver knew you could walk through a scarp yard....the schwinn looks like a winner

I'll take them if you don't want them.. Another mans junky bike is another mans junky project :mrgreen: .. Oh and a bike saved for a second chance to make a man or kid happy to ride a kool bike ..

i say go for it cuz if you dont get'um .... itll come back to haunt you :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hopefully someone got them and saved them from the shredder. I just got a girl's Schwinn at my local scrapyard today. Mine is in better condition though.

Back