2 old schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got a schwinn cruiser for $50, not sure on year, it has a cool seat and a 3speed hub. My girfriend bought an old 24" fleet frame/forks/fenders/bars for $40
SU1HMDAyNzIuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAyNzMuanBn.jpg

Yep, BB56132 is Feb 22, 1966. Is the number on the left rear dropout?

The D0968 is another story. Is the number on the bottom bracket? Then it's prior to 1948 unless there's one more number. If it's on the rear dropout, there has to be more numbers, I think.

Wildcat said:
Yep, BB56132 is Feb 22, 1966. Is the number on the left rear dropout?

The D0968 is another story. Is the number on the bottom bracket? Then it's prior to 1948 unless there's one more number. If it's on the rear dropout, there has to be more numbers, I think.

Both are on the rear dropout. I'm pretty sure theres no more numbers

It should have 5 or 6 digits after the letter. I'll agree, it looks like a Corvette. Good find.

I'll get some better pics of them tomorrow and I'll take a closer look at the drop out on mine. If it's a corvette then that makes 3 vettes including my two chevettes!

quote:If it's a corvette then that makes 3 vettes including my two chevettes!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

it looks like you can see the schwinn decal on the top tube under the brake cable. that would make it a corvette and not a jag.
my brother had a 1979 chevette all stock, near mint. he took it to the woodward dream cruise and it was a huge hit. we also drove it out to mis for a nascar race, and almost sold it in the parking lot. he had 3 different offers for it. i know he wishes it was still around. will

Heres a pic. They are S-7s. They are rusty, but very straight. You can see the shiny spot were I tried some steel wool right quick. They look to clean up nice. The front has a servicable Schwinn Westwind tire, the rear Schwinn whitewall is toast. $25+shipping.

24inchwheels.jpg

Metal Miltia said:
it looks like you can see the schwinn decal on the top tube under the brake cable. that would make it a corvette and not a jag.
my brother had a 1979 chevette all stock, near mint. he took it to the woodward dream cruise and it was a huge hit. we also drove it out to mis for a nascar race, and almost sold it in the parking lot. he had 3 different offers for it. i know he wishes it was still around. will

Sounds like mine! I get offers all the time also, I show it quite a bit. I have pics in the car pics thread.

Floyd said:
Heres a pic. They are S-7s. They are rusty, but very straight. You can see the shiny spot were I tried some steel wool right quick. They look to clean up nice. The front has a servicable Schwinn Westwind tire, the rear Schwinn whitewall is toast. $25+shipping.

I think I found some local. Thanks anyways.

Well I can't get the screw off to see the rest of the dropout but I got to looking at it and I think I see half of a 7. so the serial number is D09687 on the vette. Anyone the specific year?

We made a little progress on the fleet today. We picked up some red wheels for $25 brand new. I got new tires on the vette and am realizeing more and more just how much it's gonna take to make it ride good.

SU1HMDAyNzUuanBn.jpg

I looked through the serial number charts again. Your number is listed 3 times on the charts I looked at.

August 1952, December 1953, and June 1957.

The cranks will have the definative answer. You'll need to clean up the bearings, and grease them, so it needs to come apart anyway. The numbers will be on the center part of the crankarm, the last two digits will be the year.

2cy5k48.jpg

Back