2 or more speed skip tooth rear hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day my truck was being worked on and I had 20 minutes to pick it up before the shop closed and I could not walk there in that 20 min time frame so I thought what the heck I can ride there in about 10 mins. and its mostly downhill so it won't be that bad on my single speed Hiawatha. Then I got to thinking about the Dayton frame I am building this winter. It came with a sweetheart skiptooth sprocket and skip tooth rear hub. I want to use them because I like the look but this is going to be a rider so I also want ease of riding as well. So I was wondering, is there such a thing as a multispeed skiptooth rear hub? What bikes if any had these as original equipment? Does anyone make them new? or even better yet (in true rat rod style) has anyone created their own?

This is a wartime blackout 3 speed New Departure hub that has been rebuilt and is for sale. You will need an ND indicator chain(don't have one), cable(don't have one) and shifter (I have one).

ND3SP1.jpg

ND3SP2.jpg

ND3SP3.jpg

What he said. It's good to grind a recess where the shorter part of the chain rides. Just copy an old cog.

It usually feels terrible when you pedal though.

karfers running a nexus 7 on his 'lucky 7' bike....he did the grind every other tooth off on that one(just make sure its an even tooth count if you go that route)...
tankandcollege006.jpg

and im running a new departure 2 speed on my dayton....
lacucaracha010.jpg

and olschbp has a new departure 2 speed on his hawthorne as well...
0302091333-00.jpg
0302091332-00.jpg

there are old multispeed hubs out there but they can be REALLY pricey(be aware new departure parts for the hubs/shifters arent all interchangeable...there are 2 different styles)

alright so the answer is yes they are out there but be prepared for it to be pricey and make sure it is complete or do the grind every other tooth trick (side note: I had considered that but did not know for sure if it would line up right) thanks guys, you are, as always very helpful

Skip tooth multi-gear hubs date way back(1900). Sturmey/archer,corbin,new departure to name three that came with skip tooth cogs.

Back