2 speed key fork New World Schwinn bike 40s ? bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I just bought this today .. I couldnt resit with the options on the bike.. Ive never seen a two speed on this style bike.. I have a few questions? If anybody can help Id appriciate it..
Can I restring the rear hub to work on a 26 inch balloon rim prewar or early post war :?:
I dont think I could do that to this bike its to cool.. But It would be nice to know if it can be done ..

The lock works fine but I cant get the freaking key out.. I havent tried wd 40 yet ..I just want to be sure Im not missing somthing ovious .. :?: (Ive tried to remove the key locked & unlocked ) But I really have not put in a real effort to get the key out..

What year is this thing I see a pre war neck stem & a Top hat on the down tube With a 2 speed Frame shift !

DSC00840-1.jpg

DSC00851-1.jpg

DSC00846-1.jpg

DSC00841-1.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00849-1.jpg

DSC00844-1.jpg

Re: 2 speed key New World Schwinn bike 1940s bicycle rare

Very cool! :p

Excellent specimen! I like these early lightweights a lot because you just don't see them. I have 2½ men's New Worlds and one is just like this: black with the two speed ND. With this particular bike, a safe determinant is the seat tube collar. If it's brazed on the frame--prewar, separate piece--postwar. Looks brazed on but it's hard to tell in the picture.

After an overhaul and regrease on my 2 complete ones, they are literally two of the smoothest riding bikes I've ever ridden. Those Schwinn Superior rims just feel right. Nice find!

The key is supposed to come out only when it is in the lock position. It's probably repairable. Gary

Jpromo said:
Excellent specimen! I like these early lightweights a lot because you just don't see them. I have 2½ men's New Worlds and one is just like this: black with the two speed ND. With this particular bike, a safe determinant is the seat tube collar. If it's brazed on the frame--prewar, separate piece--postwar. Looks brazed on but it's hard to tell in the picture.

After an overhaul and regrease on my 2 complete ones, they are literally two of the smoothest riding bikes I've ever ridden. Those Schwinn Superior rims just feel right. Nice find!

Yes it is Brazed at the seat clamp .. Thank you for the info..

I have the Mens's version (but sadly no 2 speed, mines a single ND), mine is said to be a '48 and had the top hat and is dark blue. Super cool bike.

Latest posts

Back