2 Speed Kickbacks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any riders of either new or old kickback hubs I've never ridden one and my daughter in Denver is considering a new one on a 3G bike to replace her Schwinn that I fixed up that was stolen recently. Do the always shift when you brake? Subdrew you have one she can try? does every one like the performance?

Bad picture of stolen bike

dscf2066q.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-07-01
Thanks

I ride a yellow band Bendix 2 speed. If you ride a lot, it becomes second nature and is very convenient. If you only occasionally ride with it, it takes some getting used to and is a hassle as it shifts back and forth every time you move back slightly on the pedals. We do that more than we think we do, so it takes a little time to get used to the 2 speed. The brakes on mine are linked to the low gear, so the brakes are very good, more leverage. I would recommend a kickback for your daughter if that's then bike she rides all the time.

I got a blue band stingray and a yellow band 67 typhoon there both very cool to ride! like wildcat said it takes a little getting used to and both mine always shift when you brake so sometimes youll start and your in 2nd, just some gettting used to :)

About half of my bikes have 2 speed kickbacks. The Bendix yellow band is very nice. Great brake and a good, clean shift. The Bendix red band seems like a slight step down. First gear is a bit rough on a lot of red bands I have ridden. Not sure if they don't hold up as well, or if all the red band hubs I have ridden were beat. I have also own a Sturmey-Archer S2C. This hub is as smooth as clockwork. The nice thing is, you can hear a "tick" with the shift, so it is fairly easy to figure out which gear you are in. The S-A hub is a substantially more sensitive than any Bendix hub I have ridden. It takes just a fairly small movement to shift. A benefit to the new S2C is the availability of several cogs. With the Bendix, you are a bit more limited.

Price wise, it is a bit hard. The Sturmey-Archer S2C can be had for $60 or so. Decent working Bendix hubs are a bit more expensive.

Rebuilding a Bendix can be pretty pricey. If any of you could recommend a good place to service Bendix hubs, I'd be grateful.

Yeah I'd agree on avoiding the Redband for her; I've never had a yellow but I know my red has a nice growl in first which is a shame because second is so smooth. You learn quick on them though, it takes less than a quarter turn to shift so it becomes pretty automatic after a while.

As far as rebuilding, they're definitely on the more difficult end for hubs but none are impossible (at least it's not a Morrow). If you've rebuilt hubs before, I'd say give it a try! I have a few parts if you discover anything needs replacing too :wink:

I bought a used Schwinn Deluxe Typhoon in '68 with a yellow band kickback for my paper route. I've been in love with them ever since.

They are great if you ride on relatively flat ground.

They are fairly complicated to rebuild but there are good tutorials here on the forum. Servicing them is next to impossible because NOS parts are very hard to find. You can get by if you buy several junkers and make one good one out of it.

I prefer a freshly rebuilt redband to the yellow because they have better brakes, but I have both on my bikes plus a blue band on a 20" bike. The red band has disc brakes like a New Departure. The yellow and blue band have brake shoes like most single speed Bendix hubs.

You should be able to get one that has not been rebuilt for $50. Some old crusty ones still work, some don't. I've been able to get most of the ones I've bought working with a rebuild. One that has been rebuilt and works perfect will cost you around $100. Gary

My stash... 8)
DSC03616.jpg

thats a cool pic....put that n a frame u could sell it i bet !!!!
i have yet 2 find a decent kickback hub ....
my buddy got one on a bike he bought at an auction for 110.00 cleaned it all up rode it for a while ...didnt like it much so he sold it at a swap meet for 275.00 ...it was a copertone ...something
same guy has a torpedo hub ...he loves it

Thanks I'll have her look at this post and she can decide what to do_Oh the hubs photo would look good framed Gary.
Gary

I got a kickback on my early '60's Jag.

I like it.

Anybody ever have one apart?

It about takes the patience of a Saint.

I did it about 1990.

yeah, I talked with her a bit about a new bike last night.

I have a red band and a yellow band wheel somewhere. The red band works great and I haven't touched it. The yellow has a rusty rim/spokes that I want to clean up first before I try it. I've never rebuilt a red band, but the yellow's aren't too bad.

I have no input on the newer s2c's. But that's something a quick bike shop ride could fix.

B607, that's a great picture of a great stash.

XC204, For what it's worth I love the two speeds I've ridden. You get used it. If you're pulling up to a junction then you want to be in low anyway, and if you just need to reduce speed a bit you soon get used to double kicking to keep in the right gear. You definitely feel more connected to what you're riding. Got a Red band on one of my bikes and I build a bike around a F&S duomatic for a friend. She rides that around Edinburgh which is pretty hilly and she finds it rides well. She's got to stand sometimes but the maintenance free aspect is a plus. Well worth considering IMO.

Cheers Jonnie

i got a red band i love it rebuilt it 7 yrs ago had it for 9 super smooth go for it n its great when buddys ride it that are not used to it n the brakes will throw u off if u r not holding on during hard braking :lol:

I love Mine.
There a Kick to ride. Have 2 Red Bands & 1 Yellow. Haven't riden the yellow yet .
1 is on a tandem lol.
Getting 2 pepole to Kick at the same time can be fun

Thanks for the further info I think thats the way she will roll! Jolopyjimmy13 you should trect into Chicago the next time Skipton ,Oldgreaser Sailormac and a few of us ride the city.

Jimmy we used to frequent the Redwood Rumpus Room in the mid to late 60's oops age showing now. used to be bands every week. Last one I saw there was Blue Cheer .I'm from Rockford myself It would be awsome for you guys to ride with us.

Back