2 thrift shop finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one was from the thrift shop in my home town, was definitely a farm bike, I've seen some farm machinery in the area with that same Ninja Turtles green color. The banana seat is in really good shape, it's kinda weird though it has styrofoam underneath it, it looks well formed to it did someone just do a good job of adding it or did they come that way? I also think the pedals are pretty cool, you can't tell from the picture but they're white little pyramids in the rubber. I don't know what it is and haven't done any looking. It has the top of a headbadge that could maybe be a schwinn, I have no idea though. It was $15.
IMG_0450sm.JPG

Had this bike not been dirt cheap I probably wouldn't have picked it up. It was $3. The handlebars are HUGE compared to the bike, I really like them and may steal them for something else. The idea of making a mini-Xtracycle using the back end of this bike is something floating around my head. The seat on this one is surprisingly cushion-y.
IMG_0451sm.JPG

Cool bikes. First is not a Schwinn. The lug at the headtube, fork crown indicate it could be a imported bike sold under a department store name. What coaster brake hub is it?

The second bike is a mid to late 70's moto/bmx bike. These can be collectible. Make your Xtracycle from a rear triangle taken off a walmart bike. Research more about it at bmxmuseum.com

cman said:
Cool bikes. First is not a Schwinn. The lug at the headtube, fork crown indicate it could be a imported bike sold under a department store name. What coaster brake hub is it?
It's a Sturmey Archer, I just gave it a closer look and I'm totally wrong on the paint, that's it's original paint and there are some stickers on it that I can make out what looks like a Macleods logo (a hardware store) and for the actual manufacturer it's pretty munched up I could make out a H and a i, on oldroads I found a company called Hiawatha / Gambles that have similar-ish looking bikes so that's probably it because it looks like Gambles is a hardware store in the USA. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow when there's more light.

The second bike is a mid to late 70's moto/bmx bike. These can be collectible. Make your Xtracycle from a rear triangle taken off a walmart bike. Research more about it at bmxmuseum.com
Yeah I had a look over at bmxmuseum.com there wasn't a picture of this exact model but some other interesting models also from BRC, I haven't found a whole lot of info on that company other than that they were based out of Vancouver BC and went out of business some time in the 80's. Seems like near the end of their lifespan they were making department store mountain bikes that had/have a pretty bad reputation...at least to some stranger on a forum I'd never been to before searching out the company :?

The BMX bike is very cool....gotta love those mono shock set ups.

I definitely wouldn't mess with it.....just clean it up, enjoy it or list it on Ebay. :wink:

That green one looks like the Rapidos they imported from Hungary or somewhere over there. Though since you're in Canada, might be a CCM. -Adam

Back