MBBO 20+24 BAD Apple Peeler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fabricating the front fender support from one of the pieces I cut off the 36" long sissy bar, a piece of thin aluminum angle and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod. I cut one side of the angle off about 3 inches long, drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle, stuck the threaded rod in the hole with a nut on the bottom. Threaded on a nut on top and bent the aluminum around the nut. I drilled 2 more 13/64 holes to mount it to the fork. Positioned the fender and cut the threaded rod to the correct length to fully thread a nut under the fender then measured and cut the scrap piece of sissy bar tube. And voila. A cheap front fender mount.
20240923_102809~2.jpg

20240923_103024~2.jpg
20240923_103033~2.jpg

I am fabricating the front fender support from one of the pieces I cut off the 36" long sissy bar, a piece of thin aluminum angle and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod. I cut one side of the angle off about 3 inches long, drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle, stuck the threaded rod in the hole with a nut on the bottom. Threaded on a nut on top and bent the aluminum around the nut. I drilled 2 more 13/64 holes to mount it to the fork. Positioned the fender and cut the threaded rod to the correct length to fully thread a nut under the fender then measured and cut the scrap piece of sissy bar tube. And voila. A cheap front fender mount.View attachment 280180

View attachment 280181View attachment 280182
Will the fender be able to move with the wheel when there's weight on the springer fork?

It's the same design Schwinn used on the 69-73 Krate bikes. If you just bolted a fender, on a 26" bike, to the same spot in the bottom of the head stem in the fork it would have the same effect.
But didn't the mount on those original Krate bikes also pivot with the fork? The way you have it mounted makes me think the fender will stay rigid with the steerer tube while the wheel pivots with the fork arms.

But didn't the mount on those original Krate bikes also pivot with the fork? The way you have it mounted makes me think the fender will stay rigid with the steerer tube while the wheel pivots with the fork arms.
I see what your saying. The mount should be around the fork mounting bolt side to side instead of a screw front to back. But the large fork bolt is 1" up in the steerer so I don't think changing it would allow it to move much, if any. Oh well, that screw also holds the headlight and would not work if I change it. I guess this old man won't be going over any jumps.

The plan is to use a Stratolite No.38
3 1/4" rear trailer reflector and a 3" Chinese LED headlight to make a taillight. I wanted it to flash by just wiring it to a flashing head light but I haven't figured out how to make that work. The headlight is 3 volts
(2-1.5 volt AAA batteries). If anyone knows a easy method and cheap way to make that happen, please let me know.
(Operative words....cheap....easy.)
20240925_154936~3.jpg
20240925_154940~2.jpg
20240925_154946~2.jpg

I'm going to try and will a hole in the steerer 90 degrees to the one there now and turn the front fender support 90 degrees. Maybe that will work better.

Latest posts

Back