20 inch Schwinn Skipper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this site and wanted to try to see if I can pos a picture.
More importantly I recently picked up a nice red 20" skipper at a garage sale for $8. Serial number shows it's a 66.
945299cf8f684a0ae93429bde5fa8777.jpg
My first thought was make a Stingray out of it, as it is something I have always wanted. I've got a couple Murray Spiders but they just not the same. So the question is are these rare? If it's not really valuable is it the same frame you would find on stingray? Seems too small but I could be wrong.

c55944859eb24ca3666321fe0daefb30.jpg

The issue is this, the bike in its current form is way to small for even my 8 year old to ride comfortably. So it's either stretch it with a set of apes and a banana or set it free. I just have too many bikes to keep ones that no-one in my family can ride. If it's worth something I may sell it, otherwise it will make a a reasonably priced jr for my boy.

As far as I know, the Skipper was only available in 1961 and 62, the chain guard logo looks to be the '62 one. But yeah, pretty uncommon, though not especially valueable. I wouldn't make any permanent changes to it. -Adam

Thanks. I was lazy and typed the serial# for the year instead of using my brain. I have this guy's big brother (26") with a kick back in the basement. Should have remembered that these only ran a couple years. The 26" skipper was the first classic bike I ever bought. $5 some soccer mom was asking the wife about it and I quick gave the husband the cash. I still remember the look on face. That was almost 20 years ago, now I'm married to a soccer mom. Thinking back to my actions on that day, I wouldn't change a thing... She was probably going to put it in her yard.

Back