20 inches?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does 20 inch wheels mean 20 inch bike?

i'm goin with yes but i've been wrong before

yea unless someone put 20 inch wheels on a bigger bike which = pedal scraper

Don't confuse that with a bike that has a 20-inch size frame. Some people may say "yeah, that bike is a 20-inch". They're talking about the frame size, not the wheel size.

That size would be good for a tall person. An average person will ride an 18 inch size, a small person a 16 inch size, etc.

Hugo

thank u guys very very very very very very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ok so i measured the bike, its 18 inches, but will a 20 inch springer fit an 18 inch bike
or does anyone know where i can find an 18 springer?
one more thing,are all headtubes the same size or are they the size of the stem?

THANKS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

moparmayhem93 said:
ok so i measured the bike, its 18 inches, but will a 20 inch springer fit an 18 inch bike
or does anyone know where i can find an 18 springer?
one more thing,are all headtubes the same size or are they the size of the stem?

THANKS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

in the road bike world the may use the seat tube measurement to describe a bike, round here most of us read 20" as a bike with 20" wheels, same goes for 24", 26" and so on. if your lookin at springer forks, they usually list them as to what wheel size they fit. so a 20" springer will accept a 20" wheel at the most.

as far as the head tube ?? always measure so yoou get what you need. usually older bikes (really older) had smaller tubes.

as far as the head tube ?? always measure so yoou get what you need. usually older bikes (really older) had smaller tubes.

see thats the problem,its a 1968 schwinn and it has the smaller headtube
the site i want to arder from doesn't give the measrements of ne thing either
my guess is prolly should't deal with these guys but a fellow forum user gave me the link so i'd figure hey it must be decent
but i need a site with measrements

i am confused you have an adult frame and your putting a 20 inch wheel springer fork in it? or do you have a 20 inch wheel kids bike? type slowly i get confused easily :shock:

hhaah sorry i see how it got confusing heres whats goin down:
i have a 1968 schwinn frame and it is a smaller kids fram,it measures 18 inches from headtube to seatpost and it has 20 inch wheels on it.
my head tube will take a 21.5mm stem and someone on here told me all schwinns are this size.
my problem is i want to put a springer on it so i can build a lowrider but i can't find an 18 ich srpinger only 20 and 16.
question one:will a 20 inch springer fit?
question 2:do i have to buy a certain srpinger to fit the headtube?

that should clear it up.....i hope
hahhaahaha

THANKS! :mrgreen:

Is this a Stingray style frame your working with?

If yes, then a 20" springer will work.

Question 2:do i have to buy a certain springer to fit the headtube?

This is a two part answer, so bear with me for a moment. The headtube is a part of the frame, the steer tube is a part of the fork. This is an important distinction because the length of the headtube determines how long the steer tube needs to be. The internal diameter (id) of the steer tube partly determines the size of gooseneck you need. The headset is the other part of that equation.

The lowrider springers can use a 22.2mm or 21.1mm gooseneck - use whichever matches your headset. Your existing headset should work (educated guess without seeing the parts). These same lowrider springers usually have a longer steer tube than necessary. This is so you can cut it down to the correct height to fit your particular frame. Taller steer tubes are also available if your frame has a taller than normal head tube.

Clear as mud, right?

Post a pic of the frame in question if you can - it's easier if we can see what you're working with.

Hope this helps

-Mp

yes,it is a stingray style frame

u did anINCREDIABLE job at explaining
i understand it completely
i would post pictures but i don't have ne way to do so

but i do get what ur saying and it helped out ALOT!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back