20" SCHWINN CRUISER - MX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So last week someone posted an ad on the CL for a Schwinn Cruiser and I was out of town at the time and wasn't able to pursue it. I could tell from looking at the photos that it was a 20" bike which I think makes it fairly rare.

I had actually forgotten about the bike and then last night I saw it pop on the CL again...."SCHWINN CRUISER." This time I emailed the seller and we agreed to meet up this morning for the trade. He was about 45 minutes away and I had the day off so it worked out well.

He was a real nice guy who said that his folks bought the bike used for him back in the mid 80s from a garage sale and it looked just like it did when they bought it. He said it had knobby tires on it and the orange vinyl graphics. Later on when he turned 16 he started working for a bike shop in Tennessee and he ended up tearing the bike down and he repacked all of the bearings and regreased the hubs. He also ended up putting some brand new Cheng Shin knobbies on the bike and never did ride it after that. Now he's in his 30s and he felt like it was time to let it go.

It's got a December 1980 serial number so that leads me to believe that it's a 1981 model bike. They show the 1981 Cruiser in a 20" model in the catalog and they used the same 20" wheels with Bendix rear hub and black high flanged hub up front. The wheels and tires on this bike are MINT!!! :shock:

Pretty cool to see a 20" Klunker. :lol:

So here's how the bike looked when I got it home....

DSC_0007.jpg

And here's how she looks after some soap and water....

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

Glad you got it Steve! I saw that one too, but you me, it's just not on my wish list. Cool little bike though!

QUEASY RIDER said:
Glad you got it Steve! I saw that one too, but you me, it's just not on my wish list. Cool little bike though!

Thanks Jim...I was surprised that no other Schwinn guys would have jumped on it.

It was hard to resist for $100. :wink:

You could have asked me to pick it up for you since you were gone. All worked out in the end though. If my boys were still little I'd a been all over it! I must be old Steve! I only go after what I'm going to ride now.

I watched a mint chestnut (root beer) 20" cruiser sell on Ebay one time and for some reason it just seemed really cool.

That's sweet! :D Looks great after the magic Texas water bath :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That's sweet! :D Looks great after the magic Texas water bath :mrgreen:

Maybe that is Steve's secret. I would like a couple of gallons bottled up and sent up north. Then my bikes might look like his.

Cool little bike. Is that front hub original?

I've never seen that paint scheme before on a Schwinn. I think I was into cars and girls about that time of my life. :p Gary

cman said:
Cool little bike. Is that front hub original?

In 1981 they show in the catalog that they were running the Scrambler wheel set on the 20" cruisers so the Mexican knurled "76" Bendix and the black high flanged hub up front are original.

That's a killer bike! It belongs on your mantle (and it would probably fit up there, too! :mrgreen: )

Really like this bike! Nice to see this frame in something other than a StingRay or BMX.
Like the orange decals with the black too. Now that I've built one, I can see why people like Schwinn; their over built, perfect klunker. Nice find and clean up!

I wouldn't have thought twice about giving a bill for that, Those tires are obsolete and the wheels look perfect. My 36/36 is drooling over them! What a gem. :mrgreen: You scored!

Latest posts

Back