20's-30's Iver Johnson.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not sure if I'm going to build this up right now, but for the moment I'm cleaning up and assessing the frame. I figure its probably late 1920's or 1930's. I chose this frame because I really like the curves.

iverladiesframe1.jpg

iverladiesframe2.jpg

iverjohnsonladies5.jpg

iverladiesframe3.jpg

I made a little progress removing the top two layers of paint. It had one coat of a real nice light fine metallic blue color, and a coat of black spray paint. Luckily they didn't do any prep work, so most of the original paint is still there.

ladiesiver1.jpg

That crank appears to be threaded on the end. I'm guessing a spanner was used to remove that end nut and the cranks is then pulled off.

Based on the crankset, this beast could be a little older than you think. Seems the non standard cranks kinda had their end by the '20's.

I did have a 1920's "Mayatg" (supposedly made by the brothers who would later make Dusenburg autos) which had oversized bb cups and a crank of wierd size and thread. My 1890's safety frame has a crank a bit more like yours here.

The dropouts also have a very turn of the century look to them. I am no expert, so please take all that with a grain of salt, just wanted to comment on those interesting aspects.

Very cool ladies bike indeed. :D

I've removed the "nut", but the arm is firmly attached to the crank taper. According to someone on the cabe it should just slide right off, but its probably rusty or never been removed. I've got it soaking with pb blaster right now in hopes that it will loosen up some.

Here's a quick mock up with 27" rims. The 27" rims have a 1978mm circumfrence, vs 1955mm for the 28" rims. They fit the frame nicely since the 27" tires have a lower profile. I could lace these up to some ND hubs.

iver1003.jpg

I manually blurred it using image editing software. With garage shots there is so much mess its hard to pick out the bike from the rest so I blurred the background to make it stand out. I use GIMP 2.6 which is free if anyone wants to check it out.

Looking at that frame, it looks like the same dropouts and BB shell as a camelback frame I have. I'd be curious to find out how old it actually is. I'm going to adapt a mid BB crankset into mine because I figure I'd never be able to get the original cranks for it...

Back