24” Schwinn Tires - ISO 547 substitute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok guys; the Poor man’s Manta Ray is going great.

one of the tubes was bad, so I had to get one off of EBay.

I asked the seller before purchase specifically if the tube would fit 24” Schwinn lightweight, ISO 547.

they didn’t flinch and said yes!

the tube showed up and upon inspection I saw it was ISO 540!

i double clutched, looked at the tube then looked at the tire and was like…. What’s 7 mm, right?

worked fine. the tube was a little smaller than the tire, but all in, fit over the wheel just fine and installed great With little to no effort.

so, here’s the big question: anyone squeeze any ISO 540 tires onto a Schwinn ISO 547 wheel?

I’m thinking with some dish soap, water and a set of tire levers it would work?

id love to hear anyone’s input or experiences.

I asked the seller before purchase specifically if the tube would fit 24” Schwinn lightweight, ISO 547.

i double clutched, looked at the tube then looked at the tire and was like…. What’s 7 mm, right?

worked fine. the tube was a little smaller than the tire, but all in, fit over the wheel just fine and installed great With little to no effort.

so, here’s the big question: anyone squeeze any ISO 540 tires onto a Schwinn ISO 547 wheel?

I take 26 or 27.5 tubes on mountain bike group rides. The best one is 27.5 as it fits best as an emergency replacement tube in a 26, 27.5 and 29 tire. A 26 can also be used in an emergency but 27.5 is the most versatile. I have put 540s on 547 rims but it involves a lot of grunt and swearing. I’ve never been able to remove one, when I got a flat it went to the thrift store. I tried to remove one but I’m not sure it’s even possible. How can the wire beads be cut without destroying the rim?

I take 26 or 27.5 tubes on mountain bike group rides. The best one is 27.5 as it fits best as an emergency replacement tube in a 26, 27.5 and 29 tire. A 26 can also be used in an emergency but 27.5 is the most versatile. I have put 540s on 547 rims but it involves a lot of grunt and swearing. I’ve never been able to remove one, when I got a flat it went to the thrift store. I tried to remove one but I’m not sure it’s even possible. How can the wire beads be cut without destroying the rim?
I figured due to the bead, the tubes have a lot more versatility than the tires.

in a jam on a future build, I may take a chance on a 540 tire on a 547 wheel….

I figured due to the bead, the tubes have a lot more versatility than the tires.

in a jam on a future build, I may take a chance on a 540 tire on a 547 wheel….
It’s exreemly difficult. I’m not strong enough anymore to do a tire mount like that, you need lots of detergent and steel tire irons.

No way will it work. It may possibly go on the rim but will never seat up even halfway straight. Tubes are made of rubber, therefore a 540 tube works perfectly fine in 547, and also fine in skinny 559's. You can pre-stretch them like a big rubber band so they will fit into the larger diameters easier. Tires however are made of rubber--and steel (or a similarly inelastic fiber) and will not work unless within about 1 -or 2mm tops- of the rim's BSD (manufacturer's tolerances or lack thereof can also play a part.)
The good news is, Kenda still makes the 547mm size, and it is in stock at QBP (part # TR5130; menu. # 01246906201.) If there are none online for sale, any dealer can order them. Other distributors also probably have them in stock by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back