24" 1962 Typhoon - Can I fit Thick Bricks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've literally been searching for days and cannot find my answer, so please don't link another post if the answer is out there... I'd be crushed! =)

I recently picked up a 24" 1962 Typhoon and I am trying to run a set of 24x3 thick bricks. Through the many different threads i've gone through i am going to guess that the answer is no. I need wheels and tires so i'm open to whatever the fattest wheel/tire i can run without fenders that won't be a headache. I'm looking for an all creme/white tire. Wheels ideally would be white but if not i will powder coat.

Thank you!

I wanted the same thing but ended up having to compress the fork tubes some to get them to fit. I didn't go all the way flat w/ them so they wouldn't lose their strength and crack the metal. I compressed them a little at a time untill I had enough room for the tire to fit & have a small gap on each side. No pics of the finished product yet to share tho.......

Hmmm... Would the alternative be to get a 26" fork and cut and weld the 24" tube to the 26" fork? That kind of sounds a little bootlegish but maybe it works?

You didn't have any problems what so ever fitting the 24x3 in the rear though?

What would be an alternative to the 24x3..

STIHATCH12 said:
Hmmm... Would the alternative be to get a 26" fork and cut and weld the 24" tube to the 26" fork? That kind of sounds a little bootlegish but maybe it works?

You didn't have any problems what so ever fitting the 24x3 in the rear though?

What would be an alternative to the 24x3..

That might work but maybe a totally different fork thats wide enough would be an option. The rear is a tight fit. I wouldnt comprimise on the tire size if thats what you want. I do some of my designs around the tires if they're a center piece of the design.

I have seen 24x3 on a 26" frame and I have seen 20x3's on a 24" frame but I think 24x3 on a 24" frame would be a tight squeeze.

It's not going to break my heart if i can't run the 24x3 Thick Bricks on the 24" - Well it might a little bit. I don't really want to mess around with the fork or the frame. It's Red and has a nice patina and it's a straight bar. It's just really hard to get an idea of what options I have when i haven't had too much luck looking through the gallery finding pictures of 24" bike, most are either 26" or Muscle bike. I could be wrong and just didn't search hard enough!

Does anyone have another suggestion as to what would work but have kind of the same look?

There aren't any problems fitting 26' Fat Franks on a 26" frame though right? From everything i've read on here sounds like its not an issue especially if you aren't running fenders.

Thanks for everyones replies.

If you have 26" tires try test fitting them to see how they clear the height problem. 24x3 thick bricks are the same height aired up as a 26x2.25. I have no experience with fat franks, but they're 26x2.35 I believe and don't think they're much taller if any than a regular 26. 20x3's might have the same height as a regular 24 so that might be your best option. Obviously a 26" fork that's wide enough will work for the front, but you also have to realize that with the rear you will have chian adjustment issues as well as keeping the chain from rubbing the tire. I run thick bricks on a 26" ballooner with no fenders and have to run a multi speed free wheel as a fixed gear on either the lowest or second sprocket up, anything higher the chain hits the tire. I've also seen people configure derailures and/or off set sprockets. Here's a pic of my thick bricks on a 26" frame to get an idea of clearence, I don't see it being an easy tire change with a 24" frame/fork...
001-11.jpg

Latest posts

Back