24 hour build, including sleep and a trip to the LBS.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done with this slick looking speed machine this evening. The F/F is a 76 Schwinn Spitfire MW I got from Gordon Bradbury. I got a BB conversion kit, and dug out an old set of Silstar roadie cranks. I pulled the little ring and the guard off, of course. Paint is Krylon rust tough semigloss black, and Duplicolor 1684 aluminum. The rims are Rhyno lite with a Shimano 3CC coaster, and a quick release front deore hub. They were on my old evil looking Madwagon custom. It rained all day, so I never really got a chance to test it out. !st gear feels like a single speed bike, so top end should be scary, hehe. :mrgreen: ,,,,KR

Hopefully it passes the rat test??

Speed33.jpg

The tires are an interesting story too. I got two sets of them at Big Lots for $8. 70% off clearance price. Some ace Hardware stores carry them as well. Never seen them anywhere else. Thanks, I hope to scare myself silly tomorrow if it's not raining, hehe!,,,,KR

Jebus, maybe I will get to ride it tomorrow! It has rained nonstop since yesterday morning. It's finally moving off!! I hope. Crazy.....KR

Just took it for the first ride outside the driveway. It is fast, hehe. It actually fits my leg power level great. Not too stiff in any gear. It does need about 3-4
inches more height in the stem. Straight line is great, turning gets into a handlebar vs knee battle. Pedals have to go, I need some rat or bear traps with better teeth. Maybe some DX style, but they will have to be good pegs, not molded in. Other than the pedals and stem issues, it's good to go! :mrgreen: ,,,,KR

Back