24" tires (gears?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punkjazz7

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,
I searched here on the forums for 'easier' gears than a standard 44-tooth chainring and 20-tooth cog. I found a pretty informative post that someone was running a 38-tooth chainring and, if I remember correctly, an 18-tooth cog. Something to pedal a little easier on flats and slight inclines. I think they were on 26-inch tires, though! I am customizing a Huffy Cranbrook I got for cheap. It is my first foray into customization. But, since I am out of shape, I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions on gearing for this bike. Also, I wanted to switch out the 24x2.125 tires that come on the Cranbrook for some 24-inch Maxxis Hookworms. However, given the tires' size, I'm unsure if this is even feasible. Any suggestions on tires and gearing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Welcome aboard!

I would go through the bike to make sure everything is operating right and rolling well. With it upsidedown, pedal it to see if there are any problems. It should work easily and the rims should be straight and lined up with the frame.
Then, just swap the chain wheel from 44 to 40, leave the cog at 20. that should pedal easy enough, especially for a 24" bike. You'll have to take a link out of the chain.
As you get in better shape, the 44 can go back on.

Make sure you get the right size 24" tire. There is another 24" tire that's larger, the skinny tires, 540. Yours is 24 x 2.125 and should be 507 if I recall, but it should say on the sidewall.

Post up your progress.

Thank you for your replies! I think I am going to go with the 36t chainring. Any thoughts on those hookworm tires instead of what’s on the cranbrook?

Latest posts

Back