24 x 3 tires Nirve & Electra, real measured numbers,

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
So in my obsession with design, I'm stuck on my intention to try 24 x 3 tire on my Schwinn Spitfire. From the talk on this list, I knew that actual measured dims were different (less) than the spec'd numbers in some cases. In order not to have to pay for the wheel build (I want a 3-speed hub) and other parts just to find out that it wont fit, I decided to invest backwards to test some tires. There are already numbers for a Kenda on this forum, and it sounded like (from this list and my mechanic) that Felt tires are very thick. So I decided to purchase and measure/test two other tires that I liked aesthetically. They are the Nirve FattAss and the Electra Fatti-O. Both were mounted on the same rim (unbuilt),with the same tube, and inflated to the same pressure. Here's the data... I hope it helps others make educated decisions, saves headaches, and results in some very slick rides.

Test conditions:
Rim: Weinmann AS7X, in the catalog as 24 x 1.75, but the sticker actually reads "24 x 1.75 - 2.125" so I dont know if that is really an "acceptable tire width" rather than a rim width like we thought. Actual measured rim width (outside) 1.125".

Tube: Kenda 24 x 3.0 AV, inflated to 33 lbs.

Nirve ......:
Rated: 24 x 3
Total diameter (unweighted): 25.625"
Radius to widest point of tire: 12.1875"
Width at widest point: 2.75"

Electra Fatti-O:
Rated: 24 x 3
Total diameter: 25.5"
Radius to widest point: 12.125"
Width at widest point: 2.6875"

Sorry for the decimals, fractions are a pain to type, and no I'm not measuring to 4 significant digits, these convert to standard "16ths". The measurements should be pretty accurate as they were done with two rulers, and the wheel laying flat on the wood floor. But I don't guarantee anything.

Subjectively: I expected the Nirve to be a lot bigger than the Electra. I just looks fatter. Perhaps it's because of the lip at its widest point making the tread profile look flatter and thus wider. If you want a "fat" look and the numbers work then this would be a good one. However, I think I'm going to go with the Electra for a few reasons: the slightly smaller profile just might reduce stress during the build; the tire's rounder profile looks a bit more retro/classic; and I like how the white wall extends all the way to the tire beat (disappearing behind the black rim).

I think that's a pretty good overview. But ask if you have any questions.
Ben

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

thanks for doing this, im in the same situation and i really needed these numbers. Now I know that the electra tire i want will fit in the frame I have. Time to get lacing

2 more things

1. this info and the ones you said is on the kendas should be compiled and put in the archive.

2. Did you paint the whitewall on the nirve or is that from the factory. if its from the factory then they really need to issue some quality control. if you did it then good job.

Hi,
Thanks for your appreciation.

I'll let the moderators do the compiling & archiving.

The Nirve whitewall is from the factory, and yes it's crooked. Another reason I'm not using it. I bet it would look even worse while rotating (wobble wobble).

Thanx twistedroot. These tire companies sure do rely on the round-off method!
And as far as quality in regards to the Whitewall?? I guess we can't complain cause they're at least still offering them!?!

I badly wanted to put a 24x3 on this frame.finally got it to fit with some frame persuasion! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31602

Here's an additional side by side.

I initially purchased some Kenda Flames which were slightly too wide. Then ordered some Electra Fatti-O's.

Side view. Kenda's on left, Electra's on right. Fairly similar in appearance.

WP_000216.jpg

Width, mounted and inflated to 30psi.

Kenda Flame
WP_000218.jpg

Electra Fatti-O
WP_000217.jpg

Ive just ordered 3" Electra's fo my Dyno Coaster. I wanted to put 80mm wide wheels and 3" tires on it but was told on a few of the forums that a standard early Dyno frame will only take a 65mm wide wheel. So i ordered those with the Electra 3" tire. I just hope now that it fills the gap ok as they come out smaller

Back