24x3.0 Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a set of 24x3.0 wheels and I can make the wheel/tires fit into the frame, but I am having a little bit of trouble finding a fork that'll fit the tires... Any ideas?

Try to find a set of newer BMX or tubular MTB type forks off a cheapo donor bike. You may have to remove front brake bosses to get the clearance you need, but the 24x3 should fit okay. I fit a set of forks off a 90s huffy mtb with a 24x3 and it cleared. Not the most vintage look in the world, but with matching paint etc. it should look alright.

Hey Brig,I just measured the inside cleareance on my "bent" 26" Schwinn style springer and its 3".

I think with some spacer washers at the pivots will gain you enough clearence easily.

Cool. I'll have to check it out with my non-bent springer... I've a'so got a few forks around I might try "custom-fitting one to the wheel... I'll let you all know how it goes this weekend...

Those tires should fit in a Schwinn fork from heavyweight/ballooner. It won't fit in any Schwinn fork after Middleweights started. I was able to fit a 26x3 tire in a fork from 1950 on my Military bike with a fender to boot.

Huh... If only I knew when middle-weights started... I hate not knowing things... Good thing I have the Internet. Cuz the Internet knows EVERYTHING...

Rim width makes a difference too. I was running 2.25 tires on a Schwinn middleweight with standard rims. It was a tight fit but they worked. Then I switched to a heavy duty rim which was wider, and the same tires made contact with the frame, the rear forks specifically. I put 1.95 tires on with the heavy duty rims and they fit like the original 2.25's.

I guess if the rim is smaller, the tires bend up a little bit. With a wider rim they're free to expand laterally.

Latest posts

Back