24X3 tire question....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone know how wide a thick brick 24X3 tire is? Is there usually enough room in a ballooner frame/fork to fit a 24X3 without cutting? I know its gonna be some trial and error, but just wondering what you all have found.....

Thanks

So many variables in your questions.

24x3 is about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches wide depending on your rim width.

I fit one on a Murray middle weight frame but had to spread the stays. And another fit in a JC Higgins Colorflow frame with no mods (it was close)

Not knowing what frame you have, I would buy one and count on monkeying with the frame then be pleasantly surprised if you don't have to.

Have fun!

Well, I have a few frame options. I am hoping to use a '36 Roadmaster although it has the narrowest frame. My second choice is a 51 Higgins ballooner. I am pretty sure it will fit in the Higgins as I almost have a full 3" of clearance. I am working on the wheels and then I'll mount up a 24X3 and see where it stands. Now to decide between the Nirve Fat *butt* or the Felt Thick Brick.

I just switched from Kenda Krazes to Thick Bricks. The Felts are quite a bit narrower than the Kendas, more of a rounded profile than the square shouldered Kraze. They fit the frame on my Huffy Santa Fe/Cranbrook, with no problems. Also, the sidewalls are MUCH thicker, I really like them.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back