26 x 2.3 or 26 x 2.4 tires on stock rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm looking at Geax Booze (2.3" wide) and CST cyclops (2.4" wide) tires and wondering if I can use these on 1.50" or 1.75" stock wheels? They look cool but I don't have $ for new wheels.:p

I've never measured the rims, but I put a set of 2.35's on the worksman wheels that Chuck sells without issue.

i put 26x 2.35 kenda k rad on some narrow rims. on one rim the bead would unseat, the tube would slip through and it would explode. you could watch it happen in almost slow motion. it happened a couple times. i switched the tires and it happened on that rim again. checked the rim real good, only thing i could find was the seam. i sanded it smooth and havent had a problem. i thought they looked real good. now i have thise tires on some worksman rims.

Really? I was under the impression that that would actually be dangerous..?

I've put 26x4s on one bike, and put 3.45x26 BOA-Gs on many regular rimmed bikes. Never had one problem or blow out. I buy the fatter 26x4 inch tubes.

I've been routinely running kenda 26x3" tires on regular rims for years on my customs. You have to fill them carefully, but once you get them filled there's no problem.

(noob here) So there is clearance for that size tire on a bike with a stock rim of that size?
Anybody have any pics?

you should be fine mounting the tire, but check the width of the hubs. if you have the rims you are using on the bike now, measure the space between the chain and tire. then factor in the width of the tire your looking to get. also check the space between the stock tire and rear frame. i have found out more then once that there was a reason why that size tire and rim were on a bike.

(noob here) So there is clearance for that size tire on a bike with a stock rim of that size?
Anybody have any pics?
Depends on the bike, but for the most part, atleast on cruisers, you can fit a 2.35" on pretty much any bike. If you're going wider than that you should check the clearance. If the bike has fenders, check clearance on 2.35" aswell. Sites and stores that sell tires will often tell you how wide and tall the tire is on a certain rim width. Atleast classic-cycle.de (my go-to site for stuff, but I'm in the EU.) does. But make note that some people will say its unsafe, that the tire might blow out or jump off the rim while riding. I think this is more when it comes to offroading or high speeds, but still.

Depends on the bike, but for the most part, atleast on cruisers, you can fit a 2.35" on pretty much any bike. If you're going wider than that you should check the clearance. If the bike has fenders, check clearance on 2.35" aswell. Sites and stores that sell tires will often tell you how wide and tall the tire is on a certain rim width. Atleast classic-cycle.de (my go-to site for stuff, but I'm in the EU.) does. But make note that some people will say its unsafe, that the tire might blow out or jump off the rim while riding. I think this is more when it comes to offroading or high speeds, but still.
Cool thx. I have a 57 Spitfire with Rhino Lite rims. No fenders.

Latest posts

Back