2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE - We need YOUR ideas!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd Annual RRB Auction Bike.

Hey guys.
After the unexpectedly HUGE succes of the 1st auction rat, it didn't took long to realize this had to become an annual event. Just like the official RatRodBikeBuildOff. You know, having another event in another season to look forward to. Great to see so many enthousiastic potential builders/donators who can't wait to join in and start the 2nd auction rat build. Heck, people even started vr-donating stuff before knowing what is going to be build.

So, what's this auction rat event all about?

Auctionrat pioneers Double Nickle and Dr Tankenstein did a great job on the first one so I think it's best to roughly follow their guidelines with this 2nd build. And I quote:

"So I was thinking of a cool way to support the forum and it hit me...I was thinking that I could build a bike out of parts that are donated by our members then sell in on the forum and donate all the money made from the bike to the site. Wheather it be $25 or $100 it will help out I'm sure. I figured before I start that I needed to ask yall, would you be willing to donate parts for a good cause(well the site)? If so post what ya got!!!" (Double Nickle)

The 1st Auction Rat: Rustrocket Deluxe:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34429#p335870

Planning.

Because of the whole idea of donating, doing things for others, being generous, etc etc, I think it will be a good idea to use the planning from the previous auction rat as a guideline and have the auction right before christmas just to be able to give the ultimate christmaspresent to the ultimate custombikessite. 8) Somewere after all the raucous from the upcoming RRBBO is fading away we'll have to start building. Let's say July will be the month to make the desicions and actually start the build. Then Christmas as the ultimate deadline of that winning bid being donated to Ratrodbikes.com. I remember everybody getting all amp'd up just when that Christmas deadline started to peek from the horizon, and things really starting to take shape.

So we have up till july to come up with a final design. For ideas I ask ALL of you to join in and post 'em if you've got 'em. Eventually I'll try to come up with a final design incorporating some of the ideas that'll work best on the bike. Before that I'll try to come up with sketches to visualize the diferent ideas that I like.

Remember: This bike has to become another icon, just like #1 but different ofcourse. The most important thing is that the bike must represent what this site is all about. However, the winning bidder must get something unique and special. Not just an ordinary ratrodbike. If there is such a thing...

So tell me what you think. What should the 2nd auction rat look like? What are your ideas?

(Knowing these first few posts are very important for keeping things organized I'll use them for parts lists, pics and what not. I'm definately gonna edit them in the future, and if so, I'll tell you all about it.)

----

To make things clear:
This is gonna be YOUR build. I'm just here to visualize YOUR ideas. But I won't hold back if I got some of my own. Just because I started this thread doesn't mean this will be my build.
Remember that MY dream ratrodbike has already been build: The Rustrocket Deluxe...

Let me rephrase that:
This is gonna be OUR build.

Re: 2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE

The Build.

The Auction Rat is supposed to be a tribute to the site, so we feel it's best to stay true to the RRBBO-rules. Those rules form the backbone of what Ratrodbikes.com is all about. That means using a stock vintage any sort cruiserstyle frame (used can also be vintage enough), with little to no structural modifications, built up with some tradional american hotrod attitude. That's the 'in the box' part. But from there on it's out of the box thinking: Inspiration can come from anywhere. We want to create something unique but at the same time familiar-looking.

Ideas and inspiration uptill now.

- Bike based upon an upcoming RRB shirt. - (linking to the shirt makes the bike more valuable and vice versa)
- Bike based upon the parts being donated.
- Ed Roth Style. - Ratfink (keep in mind RRB has/had already a hotrodmonster-ish shirt and Electra has the Ratfinkbike...)
- Muscle/Dragbike. - Think funnycar, Slingshot, Gasser, Topfuel, etc...
- Saltflatracer. - "Bonn Evil" or "Bonne Evil" - Laquers or Moondiscs big fat racing numbers/lettering/stripes/decals, etc..
- Boardtracker. - "Team RRB" or "RRB-Speedshop"
- Caferacer-Roadracing motorcycle. Black, Leather, Rocker,
- Airstream/Art Deco - "Extreamliner" Think american diners. Early trains. Loewy designs. The '35 SoCal Ford. etc..
- Tribute to a milestone hotrod of choice. - Ala Kart, R&C Dreamtruck, Kookie Kar, Super Bell Coupe, California Kid, etc..

- Still need more of YOUR ideas! Keep em coming guys!

The stuff we need.

Btw... Please don't feel you've got to hold back if you have a part to donate that's already on the list!! Maybe your's is WAY better for the project than the one on the list. So please get several good quality pics of your item. We will be gratefull to everyone who's got the intention to donate for this build. But we have to be serious and realistic if it comes to trying to build the best bike for an auction.

Potential parts (not set on them yet!)

parts_frame_1.jpg

parts_frame_2.jpg

^ Ross (by Wildcat)
^ JC Higgins (by Social Jack)
^ Western Flyer (gender-bender by Garagegoon)

parts_seat_1.jpg

^ caferacer seat (by JezusJonz)

parts_seat_2.jpg

^ caferacerseat (by Dogdart)

parts_fork_1.jpg

^ custom fork tripple tree or girder (by PVWacko)

parts_chainguard_1.jpg

^ Artdeco chainguard (by Dogdart)
^ Artdeco chainguard custom (by Herr_rudolf)

parts_rack_1.jpg

^ Aluminum custom stuff like racks (by Herr_rudolf)

parts_upholstering_1.jpg

^ Custom upholstering stuff (by Dogdart)

The list:

- builders: Garagegoon and Udallcustombikes
- design stuff/visualizing: Herr Rudolf
- frame option 1: Wildcat ('more where that came from')
- tank: KZ1000
- badge: Jezusjonz
- seat option1: JezusJonz:
- seat option 2: Dogdart
- fork: PVWacko: Triple tree fork or a custom girder.
- Grips (black) Schwinnray69:
- :wink: whatever custom thingy we might need :wink: : Mikesbikes36: all i know is i wanna build something custom for the next auction bike too....whatever it may b i wanna b in on the next one 2 !!!! just let me know and ill do whatever ,,,hopefully by then my dad will have his mill hooked up and we could turn out something really custom ....like i said im n on whatever !!!! MIKE

Not there yet at all:

- tires:
- wheels:
- bars:
- stem:
- pedals:
- cranks:
- sprocket:
- seat post:
- chain:
- rack:
- bearings:
- fenders:

-
-

NOTE: Just like the ideas written down in this thread, the names on the parts-list are NOT binding. If you want to join: please do. If you want out, that will be okay too I guess. If there are others that want to donate a part that's already on the list please tell us, so we (all) can decide what to choose when the the start of the build draws near... Lets not box ourselves in... if someone else has something better that's fine. I couldn't have said it better so I quote Dogdart:

"...stuff I can offer , and if one of the parts , or services fits the bill , then great , if not , and someone else's parts work , that's great too."

EDIT 12/25: new frame-pic added to the optional frames-list

I think an annual RRB T-shirt would be cool. Then do another build to match like the 1st auction. I can't think of how else you could have such an iconic bike. I think that was a big part of the attractiveness of the 1st bike, bidding on the bike that's on the member shirts.

H-R

I enjoyed seeing it go from cartoon-ish drawing to a real life bicycle. I would love to mimic that again and have you or another member that is blessed with artsy skills draw up a conceptual (sp.) bike that could be brought to life.

@ Udallcustombikes and Harquahalas

Good thinking guys!
Would be awesome to also have an annual RRB-shirt. But... What about going the other way around? Designing a shirt depicting the bike of the auction. As opposed to building a bike from the shirt. Eighter way, both things will be fun to do. But remember. Building the bike will be our responsibility. The shirts have to be payed for to actualy get them made first... There's still a lot of time so I guess we're going to work something out.

I highly suggest Ratrod Steve to follow this thread...
:wink:

Maybe something Ed Roth inspired with an Ed Roth inspired shirt design also.

not this one per say but you get my drift
whamo-wheelie2.jpg

ed-roth-ad.jpg

roth_450.jpg

you get my drift

One thing I liked about the Rust Rocket Deluxe was that it stayed TRUE to RRBBO "rules". To me, that's what this site is about. We can make stretched out bikes, burritos, trikes or scratch built. But I hope this place never loses its' ROOTS.....I enjoy all the extra builds, Anything Goes, Burrito Build Off etc. There's room for everything! But the roots lie in "stock" framed bikes. I like to go back and look at the bikes in RRBBO1 (all nice bikes), and compare them with RRBBO5.....SAME rules, but look at the progression. IMAGINE what they'll look like for RRBBO25. ...What I'm saying is, the Rust Rocket Deluxe is a TRUE tribute bike, I hope in the future it stays that way.
If not, I'm thinking, side by side tandem burrito trike, with dual sissy bars. :wink:

The other way around would be cool too! Proceeds from the bike could be the up front moneys for the shirts.

YESYES!! Skillsthebarber.

That's the stuff I'm talking about: Inspiration in the form of pics is more than we can hope for. Thanks. And the pics don't have to be about bicycles persee. Ofcourse cars and motorcycles are the other obvious inspirational sources, and I'll bet there's more...

I'd love to do some Ed Roth Style stuff... However, I do believe the site allready had a hotrod-monster riding a ratrodbike shirt, if I'm not mistaken....

Thanks again for your input!

@ Kota:
You crack me up man... That last sentence. You bet that's gonna be quoted on the future gallery pages :lol:

I'm with you all the way. Stay true to the roots. I always had this feeling this site is more about hotrodbikes in general than ratrodbikes persee. It's difficult discussing a bike representing the site if we're not allowed to discuss what is and what is not a ratrod. An overall stock frame is the ticket to go. It's something most of us like. I've been thinking to describe the bike using just a few words. I came up with this:

'Conventional with an edge.'
= A basic form we feel all comfortable with combined with something unique. With the Rustrocket it was definately that tire through rack. Now we just have to come up with something else. That could be as wild as those wheelie bars as seen above or as subtle as a never seen before (on a bike) cool paintjob.

all i know is i wanna build something custom for the next auction bike too....whatever it may b i wanna b in on the next one 2 !!!! just let me know and ill do whatever ,,,hopefully by then my dad will have his mill hooked up and we could turn out something really custom ....like i said im n on whatever !!!! MIKE

Here's a frame that might work. A Ross from the 50's or 60's, the fork needs a little straightening, but other than that, no rust and it's straight. It's been painted since this pic. I used it in a build off, the Starcruiser.

2qdtkt3.jpg

Here is my suggestion for the next build - a Jerald Sulky whitewall slick on a Black Felt 50 mm Rim.

This is the basis for the build.

The frame, the add ons, front wheel, color, seat, everything can be "community designed"

Maybe a Salf Flat inspired bike and call it the "Bonn-Evil" RRB Benefit Bike.

Shirt ~ "Never too fast for a two way pass!" Kick some Salt!
Colors - Brown, Tan and Olive OR Bare metal, Orange, and Black, or Red, Burgundy and Black

Good discussion here!

Joe

I'll donate a Tank if one is going o be used on the next one

Here is my thoughts...Team RRB boardtracker. :) get some good 50s graphics on the tanks and some cream quick bricks....$800

wow...
If we're continuing this pace we'll have a 100 page plus thread before the start of the actual build :shock:

dogdart said:
get some rough sketches of a couple concepts ,and see if enough parts can be donated to match any

That's the plan Dogdart! But before I start sketching we need some more style ideas. Hoping to get more people thinking about this build to generate even more cool ideas. But we have plenty of time for that :D

---

Those are some valid suggestions guys. Some are real thought out-ready-to-build ideas. Not that I was worried about having a complete blank, or a writers block regarding the auctionbike :wink:

dogdart said:
How about a bike with all the best Mucsle / Drag bike cues , in a 26"er ?

I dig it Dogdart. As long as we use a more-or-less conventional frame as a platform. And nothing too extreme: We like big'n'little tires but i think the bike will be more popular using 26"/26" or 26"/24' (Biggest rim on the rear ofcourse :wink: ) We'd love to see pics of those cues you're talking about!

dogdart said:
I've successfully painted white walls on bike tires using good spray can vinyl dye
So... If we end up with no tires at all, while we need whitewalls... can we count on you to deliver blackwalls painted white? :wink:

yeshoney said:
Here is my suggestion for the next build - a Jerald Sulky whitewall slick on a Black Felt 50 mm Rim.
This is the basis for the build.
The frame, the add ons, front wheel, color, seat, everything can be "community designed"
Maybe a Salf Flat inspired bike and call it the "Bonn-Evil" RRB Benefit Bike.
Shirt ~ "Never too fast for a two way pass!" Kick some Salt!
Colors - Brown, Tan and Olive OR Bare metal, Orange, and Black, or Red, Burgundy and Black

Hahah Yeshoney, I like your way of thinking. :mrgreen: 'Designing the bike around an awesome item.' :mrgreen: Loving the idea of the saltflatracer! Man, I'm jealous of you coming up with that name 'Bonn Evil' (or Bonne Evil). However... a saltflatracer won't be complete with a $et of ($pun aluminum) moondi$c$ if you catch my drift.... Nobody is going to donate 4 half pairs of those. It would be VERY cool if anyone comes up with a luminous idea and create those for a couple of bucks... I do have an idea though: Find a set of plastic mountainbike covers, using a sandingpaper while spinning the disced wheel around to get them grooves. And finaly spaying it 'chrome'.

I think that whitewall Jerald is going to be one of the best things that has happened to the custombicycle scene. Would be very cool to have it on any build-style. But somebody has to donate it...

harquahalas said:
Jerald Sulky's come in whitewalls???? I'm getting one!

heheh, for THIS auctionrat-build?!?! Can I add you to the partslist with that reartire? Can I? CAN I??? :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously, someone has to donate it... Mr Jerald himself? This bike will get talked about all over the world. Would be a great advertising opportunity for him I guess...

Double Nickle said:
Here is my thoughts...Team RRB boardtracker. :) get some good 50s graphics on the tanks and some cream quick bricks....$800

I think that will definately be a succes in the RRB-crowd DN. ...But it's also a kind of a 'safe' idea...A boardtracker could be the ticket, but I've read somewhere that boardtrackers are an 'overdone trend' :wink: ...so we will have come up with and an 'edgy' idea to bring 'our' boardtracker to another level and make it different from the ones that came before. 8)

Thanks for the input guys.
Remember: pics say more than words!

Latest posts

Back