3 pc crank to 1 pc crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
old Concorde, japanese built. Turnin it from a fixie to a Pashley guvnor. White tires on order. The cottered cranks are a pain in the rear. Can I remove the sealed bearing BB and add bearing cups from a old 10speed and add the 3 pc crank? I realize now that I HAVE to have the rear derailler too, to take up the slop in the chain...sorta at a loss...do I keep it a single speed or add gears? I dont mind the SS, but would have to get a bigger rear sprocket, its a pain riding with such tall gearing. I strip a cotter every time I ride it, so was hoping to put a old 1 piece on for ease and simplicity.

unless its got the big American style BB 2 piece is as few as your gonna get, but newer 3-piece cranks are way better than the old cottered style... if you dont need front gears look into some BMX cranks.

so I gotta get a new crank? can I use the BB that is in there,or are there different ID's of the bearings? Imreally a newbie to these...anyone gota used BMX crank for sale/trade?

Check out dans comp, they have a scratch and dent section. I seen some cheap bmx cranks on there, but I got dibs on those mission 2.5 piece cranks on there haha :wink:

You can probably install a sealed bearing, square-taper bottom bracket real easily. Or easily once you've managed to get the cottered crank out. A Shimano BB is like $15, and you can get a set of crank arms to go on it pretty inexpensively. That opens you up to using all different choices of chainring.

Latest posts

Back