3 speed Shimano hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I scored 4 "off brand" bikes for the taking this weekend! I was intrigued by this statement from a friend of the guy that had them. I thought that maybe I was going to score some old cruisers, but I'll take some late 20th century/early 21st century boring bikes for pieces parts for my recumbent trike or a custom cruiser lurking in my nogging.

They are all 26", 3 10 speed MTN bikes (a Huffy, another "Brand X by Huffy, and a " Barracuda") and a women's "All Pro" cruiser with an internal 3 speed Shimano hub.

Assuming that the hub actually works, is it a decent hub?

Thanks!

Oly

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Lots of people ride 3 speed internal hubs. I have two shimano nexus 3 speeds and love em.
I am guessing you have a sturmey archer with that bike and it would be a nice hub as well.

They're ok for casual use, but they're not as robust as some of their newer models, or Sturmey Archer hubs of the same vintage. If you slam pedal them or submerge them in dirty water they just might break. If you use a little finesse, they will do the job. The coaster brake versions seem marginally better in my opinion.

Cool, thanks for the info. When I get around to checking it out/trying to get rideable, I'll get some pictures.
Oly

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Back