3 speed troubles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Suntour 3 speed shifter for my stingray and it doesn't seem to work right. When I shift from 3rd to 2nd down to 1st everything works well. but when I go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd the cable seems to be to long for it. I readjusted everything and the same thing. What am I doing wrong? The cable goes to the shifter to the roller and down to the sturmey archer 3 speed. This is the shifter i got.
P8140005.jpg

sorry it seem to come loose after i shift it towards 3rd gear when the cable is at its least tension. I can shift it to 3rd to 1st no problem but when returning to 3rd the cable is loose it falls off the cable guide wheel.

do you have the chain down at the hub with the spring on it?i had the same problem and i put the chain on with the spring on it works fine now

Suntour and sturmey archer are 2 different companies, so they might not use the same cable pull lengths on there shifters and hubs. Ive got Suntour and sturmey archer hubs, but never tried to use the shifters on different brand hubs.
Have you oiled the cable if its going in an outer casing, do you have any cable clamps that might jam the cable wire? Oil the hub too. And freewheel when shifting. So the inner parts can move with no force on them.

Back