3-Star Delusion - finally an actual ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 3-Star Delusion - now with more parts

expjawa said:
I had thought I had my handlebars picked out - Soma Fabrications "Lauterwasser" CroMo bars.
soma_hbar_lauterwasser_on_rush4_1000-370x300.jpg
soma_hbar_lauterw_alloy-370x300.jpg

A little pricey, but a really cool shape. However, they don't seem to be currently available. I could buy the aluminum version, but I don't want to spend that much on them. So, I'll have to think of something else. Don't worry, kingfish, I won't use ram's horn bars. But inverted ram's horns do sort of vaguely resemble the Lauterwasser bars in an exaggerated way...

That's funny, while rooting around in a box of parts I found an old set of those bars. I was like, "humm, those might be cool."' I think I pulled them off a Suburban a few years back and just forgot about them. The chrome is a little rough in spots but probably would shine up.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - wheels & tires

Well, as I mentioned previously, I have been a bit sidetracked lately and haven't been able to work on the build. On the 4th, I flew into Tokyo. This is a business trip, unlike Kingfish's Asian vacation last year at the beginning of #7, so I have less to show for myself in terms of anecdotal stories. But I can at least account for where I've been. My employer's head office is in Sayama, north of Tokyo; I'm staying nearby in Kawagoe.

I was fortunate (sort of) to get a window seat. Great that I can control the blind, and can look out. OTOH, I was on the plane for 10 hours before the cat next to me woke up and I could get out to the rest room... A view of eastern Siberia from 30K feet:
WP_001277_zpsd63380ab.jpg

Cold, eh?

The local engineer that was essentially our guide took us to visit a temple in Kawagoe, called Kita-in, apparently very old.
WP_001281_zpsccbc79ec.jpg

WP_001283_zpscca2c910.jpg

The grounds surrounding the temple:
WP_001285_zps0e6e8555.jpg

WP_001284_zps2bae8fc0.jpg

There are bicycles everywhere. Bicycles on the sidewalk, bicycles in the road, bicycles on the shoulders. Bicycle going with traffic, bicycles going against traffic. No one wears helmets, so certain folks would fit right in. Nobody rides cruisers or vintage bikes. In fact, no one seems even to ride typical diamond frame bikes. I'd say that 90% of the bikes here are step-through framed lightweights, most are Dutch-style frames, with skirt guards, generator lights, fenders and drop stands. Many clearly don't have riders that pay attention to tire maintenance, in fact, I've seen several people riding along on a completely flat tire. Also, almost on one locks their bikes up, or if they do, they have a wimpy little frame lockring through the rear wheel. Bike theft is apparently not a problem. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures.

Re: 3-Star Delusion -Mucking about in Japan rather than building

It's great when you can go to cool places on the company dime. Ask around for bicycle repair shops. That's where I found the leather springers and bells last year in Malaca. Have fun!

Nice....I was thinking about 24X3 Berm Masters. They have a very mean look to them.

kingfish254 said:
It's great when you can go to cool places on the company dime. Ask around for bicycle repair shops. That's where I found the leather springers and bells last year in Malaca. Have fun!

Yeah, it makes things interesting, but most of my trips are to Detroit. Or up north in the middle of winter, although I can say that northern Sweden in winter is an interesting place. The trade off is that I rarely get time to actually take anything in when I traveling for work. That's been true this time too. About the only thing I've been able to do is walk up and down the brightly lit alley full of shops and restaurants behind the hotel:

WP_001302_zps2d21789a.jpg

WP_001321_zps786812ee.jpg

It seems that the Japanese have the public transportation thing down, there are trains everywhere.
WP_001323_zps25d7b2b0.jpg

Bikes, as I said before, are everywhere too. There doesn't seem to be any bike infrastructure in terms of paths or lanes, but there are lots of bike only parking areas, sheds and garages, like this one at the Honda Accord plant in Sayama:
WP_001289_zpse91cd96c.jpg

or this two-level structure around the corner from the hotel:
WP_001301_zps5c79ed7f.jpg

Note the Lincoln Aviator. Big, American SUVs and trucks seem to be something of a delicacy here.

What amused me most are the little kei-cars. 650cc and smaller, of every sort of vehicle. Trucks, sedans, convertibles, etc. I think if I lived here, I'd have one of these tiny vans, one with 4WD and a turbo. And just big enough to put bikes in.
WP_001300_zps9937c397.jpg

You don't particularly see old cars here at all. Most of the ones I've seen are either VWs or pre-BMW Minis (of which I've seen many).
WP_001298_zps9dbc40b2.jpg

WP_001322_zpsaf2369b7.jpg

Well, that's the news from Japan. I'll be going home tomorrow, so hopefully I can get to work on the Columbia shortly...

Cool pics. I know what you mean about biz travel. Just another plant and another hotel room.
Safe travels home and GIT TO BUILDIN'!!!!

The pics look great. I visited Sasebo a couple of times back in the 80's while in the Navy. They still don't need locks on their bikes, from the looks of that one pic of the bike parking area.

Skipton said:
wow!
Lots of cool looking parts.... Can't wait to see it done.

Me either! :mrgreen:

I haven't had a chance to get back to it since I've been home. I'm trying to get existing projects cleared out of the shop first to avoid confusion. But at the same time, I'm also trying to coordinate this build with a Surly Pacer build that I'm doing at the same time (and really wanted to be finished with already). So, I have no shortage of things on my plate...

Welcome home
Now Git To Buildin

I know! Within the next day or two I should start making some new progress. I did just pick up a set of bars and a saddle that I think I'll want to use, but I could change my mind on those yet. I guess your mileage may vary. I've actually bought a bunch of bike parts lately, but between this, the Pacer and a Hollywood that I'm redoing, it gets tough to keep straight what was what. So if I wind up with a purple banana seat on the road bike, you know what happened... :mrgreen:

Re: 3-Star Delusion - finally an update

I finally got a chance to drag the Columbia down into the shop last night. With everything that's been going on lately, I just haven't had time to do anything with till now. Anyway, I got it on the stand to take a good look at it. I apologize in advance for the crappy photos, but the lighting in the basement just doesn't lend itself to good results using a cell phone.

WP_001342_zps11d913b9.jpg

The bike had this cool Delta Falcon (IIRC) headlight on it. Since I have ideas already for a headlight, this might make a neat taillight housing.
WP_001344_zps451a7cbe.jpg

Another thing that it has is a badly bent fork:
WP_001348_zpse4ada00d.jpg

I'm not convinced that this fork is correct on it anyway, since the color doesn't match and there was barely enough thread to engage the headset lock nut. Either way, it isn't wide enough to fit the tire that I intend to use, so out the window it goes, figuratively speaking.

I've got this balloon tire Schwinn fork hanging around, and it seems to be a pretty close color match (under the rust).
WP_001349_zps66d91f31.jpg

WP_001350_zpscfe430c4.jpg

It seemed to fit up reasonably well also, though I might have to shorten the steerer a little.

So, anyway, onward with stripping the frame down. Actually, I got side tracked with test the fit of the Higgins skirt guards.
WP_001355_zpse37fcbe2.jpg

I tried them with the Higgins chain guard as well, but it just wasn't the right shape to fit the frame and clear the chain ring. I'd prefer to use them with the original guard anyway. However, even though the seat stay cutout is in about the right spot, they apparently sit lower on this frame then they did on the Higgins. As you can see, I'd have to either overlap the chain guard or maybe cut the skirt guard down a bit to make this work.
WP_001356_zps93b687b9.jpg

WP_001357_zps5864dc08.jpg

That might be somewhat moot anyway - next, I decided to see how the wheels and tires fit. The fork will need to have the slots widened to accommodate the 3G front wheel's axle. But that was to be expected. For the moment, it was just sitting on the ends of the fork:
WP_001352_zpse6a521dd.jpg

The bigger issue is the rear. The spread between the stays isn't as wide as I'd thought. I measured 2.95" where the tire would sit. The Berm Master tire itself is 3.05" or so across the tread blocks. I was able to get it on the frame, but it won't turn.
WP_001354_zpsfe238218.jpg

Obviously, I'll have to widen the stays in a way that doesn't involve cutting/welding. I can probably get away with cold setting it for the amount I need to move it. It was also apparent that I'll have to do something about the chainline as well. But I'm not sure if a fender will fit in here as well, in which case, the skirt guards would look kinda silly. Anyway, here's the bike with the wheels on it, just to give an idea of where I'm going with this. The pic is flipped over, since the bike was upside down on the stand.
WP_001351_zps0cd3423e.jpg

So then I finally proceeded with stripping it down.
WP_001358_zps02138615.jpg

I found that someone did a not-so-neat job of welding the seat tube at the bottom bracket. Not sure what that's all about, but I suppose it does look a bit rat...
WP_001359_zpsa2fc6608.jpg

Next up - cleaning the frame up and figuring out what to do about the tire clearance issue...

Re: 3-Star Delusion - Finally an update!

I noticed the same thing when I mocked my higgins skirt guards on my Columbia.
It might be a pretty cool look to have the skirt guards without a fender and those berm masters poking out. Worth a mock up for sure.

Maybe. But I have an idea of how I want the fender to tie in to the skirts, so I want to try that before I give up on running one. We'll see how it shapes up...

Minor update. Still test fitting parts and figuring what I want to do.

Here's a shot that's generally indicative of the direction I'm going.
WP_001361_zps25613e09.jpg

I still have to resolve finding the clearance between the chain stays for the tire. I'll change frames before I give up the tire (I could jump to a post-war DX if need be). I'm thinking that to fit the skirts the way I want them, I may have to trim them some. The drive side may need to have several inches cut off of the bottom to get it to play nice with the chain guard. I have mixed feelings about cutting up vintage parts, but theses aren't exactly rare. At the same time, I plan to be cutting down the Higgins fender that originally went with the skirts, so at least chopping things up in sets. Kinda funny - the combination of the skirts and the knobby tire reminds me of a prewar tractor, maybe an Oliver or something.

I'm undecided about the banana seat, but I do like the way it looks with the frame and tank. The seat is maroon on top and white on the sides, so it matches well. It won't be slammed on the frame like some others we've seen, I need some space under it for some other ideas I have.

I've also cleaned up the frame and paint a bit, and the finish is in pretty decent shape, all things considered. I'll have to get some pictures out in the sunlight. The exception is the surface rust on top of the top tube. It isn't real visable in the photo above, but it doesn't impact the white paint graphics much, at least not on this side. I have half a mind to clearcoat the frame as it is, but at the same time, I don't want it to be glossy. If I could come up with a durable dull clearcoat, it might be an option, otherwise I might leave it as is.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - Minor update, 6/5

Those skirt guards look wicked with that wheel/tire combo!!!!
I am digging the nanner too. Can't wait to see how this works out.

dude love the mock up!!! it looks great!!!

troy

Thanks. Well, over the weekend, I managed to find the tire clearance that I need for the 3" wide tire. Using a old hub to tie the drop outs together and the small scissors jack from my rally car, I was able to carefully spread the chain stays enough to get the tire in.
WP_001376_zpsf75c3244.jpg

I didn't have to do anything to the seat stays - they were already wider than the chain stays, and they may have moved a little when the bottom was spread anyway. In the end, I have just enough room - there's probably .100" on each side of the tread blocks.
WP_001374_zps6455d929.jpg

The wheel will have to be dead true and the centered properly, but it will clear and will free spin. I should get a picture of the actual tire/frame clearance.

So this is where I am to date -
WP_001377_zps05798677.jpg

The fork pictured isn't the one I'm going to use, so I haven't opened up the fork ends to fit the 9mm axle. I'll do that on when I get the other fork back. I've got another Schwinn balloon tire Ashtabula fork that am going to use, basically identical (but a few years newer) to the one pictured. I've handed it off to our head machinist at work (also a bike nut) to have him turn down the crown race pilot diameter so that I can fit the Columbia's crown race to it, as well as truss clamps that go under the crown race. At least in this case, the Schwinn special size is bigger and has material that can be machined. The race fits over the actual steerer tube, so all I need is for the crown pilot diameter to brought down and I should be good to go there. That's really the next thing I need, so in the mean time, I'll continue to muck about with the skirts and sort out the fender as well...

Latest posts

Back