30's Colson Flyer Skip Tooth Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up locally (Indiana) last week Friday. As a 30's era Colson Flyer. Was told it came from an estate (barn) auction in Noblesville, IN.

Been through all the Colson date ID info I could find. Could use a swag or two from those of you who have Colson Experience. Curiously, the additional numbers have been purposely stamped at some point. Would Colson have done that to repurpose the frame? Please help if you can.

My intent is to clean it up and get it back on the road. Paint is very bad, however, color and pin striping is evident. Cool badge. Plan to clean the frame with a light rub down with #0000 steel wool and simple green as a lubricant to bring out some color. Perhaps some clear coat after.

The bike looks like it had received a linseed oil bath at some point in its life. Also looks dredged through some contaminated farm soil.

Thanks,

Kruez

Last edited:
Cool find.
My first thought on the numbers was that it might have been a police I.D.#, but after looking closer, it looks like the same die set was used and the paint is in the canceled numbers. I suppose it could've been repainted though. Very unusual.
That gunk on the chain probably has it well preserved! Good luck.

Could be a date or code on the rear hub. Wood or steel rims?
Johnny

Looked closer at the hub.

Lever says Morrow looks like Hollow.

28-13
MADE IN ELMIRA
NY, U.S.A.
ECLIPSE MACHINE
PAT. IN U.S.A.
JULY 19, OCT. 25, 19
AUG. 24. 90 ?
No definitive age date yet.

Morrow started dating hubs in 1931. It would have a two digit letter-number code. The letter A would be 1931 and the number would represent the quarter. Here is mine with an F4 date code for 4th quarter of 1936. Yours may be earlier than 1931?

Back