327 (new pics 5.24)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I swear this is the Last name change. I have been listening to a ton of tiger army as I work on this bike so I figured it would be only fitting to name it after one of there songs.

Scrap the fatboy muscle idea also. Im having a heck of a time making a boys mtb look cool without cutting up the frame. So Im going to redo my current rat and name it Blood drive seeing how Ill probably have to donate plasma to get enough cash to build this, lol. Turning it into a racer inspired bike. Im an ex mxer and always loved all kinds of racing minus nascar. This bike will be a drag/salt flat/flattrack racer.

Bike looks pretty cool as is but It hurts my knees to ride and Its all I got. Im a landscaper with a hobby fetish so I gotta work with what I have.

Current idea:
Laid back seatpost
Flat bars
Some kind of triple tree forks, either old dh forks or chopper styled forks.
24x3 out back and either a 26x2.15, 26x1.75 or another 26x3 upfront.
Atleast one brake
Rebuild a s/a 3 speed so there will be no coaster action at all.
Either a tank or a tank plate (tankplate if I use triple tree forks
Sealed headset (bike has a 11/8 headtube)
Three piece sealed crank
Black tires aka ditch the white walls.

Current picture before tearing it back down.

IMG_5033.jpg

Re: Blood drive!

I gave up on trying to turn the 24" mtb into a big muscle bike. The frame was just to boaring to build without cutting and welding. Should have some progress pics by tomorrow as this new platform will be much easier to get started.

Re: Blood drive!

Well I spent a bit in the basement. got some things done to the bike. Here is how it sits as of now, far from done but Im getting some ideas worked out.

IMG_5507.jpg

Here is what I did to get the seat back. Its just an old stem from a department store mtb. I cut the bar clamp off with a grinder and stuck that in the seat tube. I still need to shim the actual part that clamps to the seat, its a tad loose. Im also thinking about flipping the seat guts to bring the seat closer to the post so it hides it a bit better. Other then the need of a shim, its solid and puts me far enough back that my bad knee isnt cramped with the seat down low where it looks cool, lol.

IMG_5508.jpg

Here is the straight bars, I like the feel of these easy on the wrist and I think they look cool. I have another pair with a tad bit of sweep I might try before I settle. This picture also shows a front brake set up that Im not happy with. I may either try to make it look more neater or just ditch it and run a back brake, not sure.

IMG_5510.jpg

Here is a picture with a 26x1.75 on the front. Almost gives it a prostreet drag bike look. Not sure if Ill keep it or not, kinda leaning away from it in favor for the 24x3's front and back.

IMG_5517.jpg

IM far from finished but it feels good to get started. Things will come slower seeing this was all stuff I already had and Ill need to start buying stuff now, lol.

Thinking about a dark blood red metalflake as the color with white parts or just black and red parts.

Re: Blood drive! (new pics 5.9)

Messed around a little bit and made a bolt on set of dropouts out of a mtb rear shock mount that raise the wheel and put it a little more forward. This way I can tuck a 24" in a 26"fork and it lowers the bike where I like it. Looks a little junky but I will , re do them with some steel and make them a bit cleaner, these are just to mock the bike up.
IMG_5537.jpg

Gives the bike a stinkbug stance with the 26 in the back but I will replace that with a 24x3 to even it up some but still give the back end some beef. I also added a set of straight bars with some sweep to them. As of now I can just clear the pedals with about 2 inches of room with the pedals on the ground.
IMG_5539.jpg

I wont be using that tire either, just what I had at the time.

Looks like you are off to one heck of a great start...might steal a couple of your fresh ideas...I won't say which ones though!!!(lol)...Best 'o luck...Pappy 8)

Thanks guys. I usually get ideas from the junk pile of bikes I have and the lack of money I have to work with, lol.

I started refabbing new dropout extensions. I cut the excess off the first set and used them as a stencile for a new set. Hard work with only a angle grinder. Once that is done I will be making a brace that is slightly taller and thicker then a fender brace that mounts to an old reflector bracket that is mounted to the fork on the bottom of the headset. This will be not only aesthetic , but provide support for the new dropouts and a place for a headlight.

Nothing I love more the the smell and sound of grinding metal.

Re: Blood drive Is now Hotprowl (new pics 5.14)

Ok I got rained out today from work so I finished the work on fabbing the fork. Im proud of what I accomplished considering I used only junk I had laying around and I never made anything out of metal before.

First rule of working with steel and an angle grinder is use proper PPE! lol
IMG_5605.jpg

Both drop outs bolted together and in the vise, trying to make them as uniform as possible using a grinder.
IMG_5608.jpg

New dropouts installed! Look a little better then the yellow ones from the first try, atleast I think so.
IMG_5609.jpg

beginning of the truss rod type bar things, lol. Check out the bottom of the post to see what I used to make them, haha.
IMG_5611.jpg

Here she is all together, I made the bars higher then originally planned. I want to mount a headlight underneath the crossbar instead of above.
IMG_5616.jpg

I always love this angle!
IMG_5617.jpg

Last but not least we have the donor for the truss rods, an old beat up broken folding chair I got when I opened a bank account ten years ago!
IMG_5613.jpg

First rule of working with steel and an angle grinder is use proper PPE! lol
IMG_5605.jpg
Chicken! LOL I just wear contact lenses and an orange peel for teeth protection.

DD I too once did the contacts until I got a hot shaving to the eyelid and decided it was to risky. As for the mouth protection, thats just so when im done, I dont have that metal taste in my mouth from inhaling it all.

I rode it for about 2 miles today and to my amazement the fork didnt buckle under my tremendous weight. I will say the bars are a reach and they stress the wrists quite a bit.

Race bikes dont need names, just numbers. This is my motocross number #327. Blike will be racer themed and have numberplates displaying the name sake.

Through it together for a short memorial day ride seeing its my only ride as of now. Ditched the hacked fork idea. Buying chopper style forks this week. Running a skinny in the front off a 55 english womans bike. Rolls real fast, its staying. Took a sturmey aw off same english bike and will build a 24" rim around that for a 24x3 tire. Everything else is in the air as of now. Been playing around with putting a disk brake on the front seeing it wont have any other brakes with the sturmey.
PIC-0136.jpg

PIC-0138.jpg

Back