'35 Columbia Superb - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Finally got a set of fenders for this beast, and not just any fenders, but a set of very rare Aluminum, period correct (but not gender correct, LOL) Pre War beauties. They were very tarnished and took a half jar of Mothers to and two nights of elbow grease to get them shining. Enjoy the pics!

35CS1.jpg

35CS2.jpg

35CS3.jpg

35CS4.jpg

35CS5.jpg

35CS6.jpg

35CS7.jpg

35CS8.jpg

35CS9.jpg

35CS10.jpg

35CS11.jpg

girls fenders or not,that thing is bomber ! 8) 8)

I've been waiting to see this thing finished. Hey where did you get the Pope decal for the fender? I'm confused about the spaces between the rear fender mounts and the frame, was that a creative solution. It makes me think the rear wheel should be bigger or something.

Actually, it is a balloon tire (26") bike. THe frame itself is set up for 28" tires, but along the way during the transition from Moto to Balloon, and not wanting to waste parts already produced, Columbia came up with a creative solution. The proper fender spacers are very difficult to find as there are not a ton of survivors with these spacers. My SAMSCO had them, but i sold them along with the fenders because at the time I did not know how hard they were to find. At any rate the forks fit and conform to ballon sizes, but the rear triangle was made to accept the 28". THe spacers obviously allow the 26" fenders to be mounted and since the fenders are manufacturer/period correct, the geometry to mount them in this frame is perfect. It is interesting to find out this information as from those in the know.

Joe

Bettleguise said:
I've been waiting to see this thing finished. Hey where did you get the Pope decal for the fender? I'm confused about the spaces between the rear fender mounts and the frame, was that a creative solution. It makes me think the rear wheel should be bigger or something.

What a thing of beauty, Joe! Man, I just dig that style of chain guard ... and the way they made goosenecks into works of art back then; very cool! Hey, will you do me a favor and add a close up of the pedals. Unless I'm seeing things, they look kinda unique too. Is that a metal band around the blocks or am I seeing things? Thanks, your bike is superb!

i know what i'd put in every one of those holes on the rear fender....

img199store.jpg

Back