40 Hole Rim and 36 Hole Hub will it work?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 hole 28 inch rim and a 36 hole coaster brake hub. Can the hub be laced into the rim? If not does anyone know where I could find a 40 coaster brake hub?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Never saw a coaster like that. Plenty of caliper brake hubs though in 40 hole. English. Cool ones too with dynos inside.

a company called perry made some 40hole coasters, and so did sturmey archer. they turn up every now and then over here, but i imagine they are like rocking horse excrement over in the states. i'm sure they are available for shipping to the US, saw a new old stock one last year, probably fifties, but the bloke wanted too much for it. also saw a sturmey three speed coaster, and they are like rocking horse poo over here, but i was young and wanted a 36 hole so passeed it by. and it was only a fiver! :D

You need an adapter for each side...
like this...
7090.jpg

...but self made with 40 holes :lol:
Sure you know a steelworker...he will manage that job!

I might be wrong here, so before you do it someone should check this.

i'm thinking of an idea if the spoke holes on the rim aren't off set from each other. You could spoke 8 skip one, spoke 8 skip one... and this might work.

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
I might be wrong here, so before you do it someone should check this.

i'm thinking of an idea if the spoke holes on the rim aren't off set from each other. You could spoke 8 skip one, spoke 8 skip one... and this might work.

Looking at it, you would do 4 spokes on each side of the hub then skip the hole. i drew it out, and in theory it would work, but i have no experience of successfully lacing a wheel. and really off set holes won't matter either.

Back