40 spoke wheel!!??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got ahold of this Suzue sealed rear flip flop hub.Ive never seen one like this and was wondering if any of you had an idea.I asked on the bmx site first since its a Suzue hub.I would really like to use it,but where the heck do I get a 40 spoke hoop!!??The knurling on the side of the hub is a removable cap.I had a guy say a track bike and another say tandem.Any ideas?The hub shines like chrome now,its been playin with my polish wheel!haha

suzuehub006.jpg
suzuehub014.jpg
suzuehub012.jpg
suzuehub011.jpg

Its a tandem or touring hub, The threaded side with the knurled sleeve is for a disc brake rotor. They put 40 spoke wheels on tandems and upper end touring bikes for weight reasons. Any good LBS should be able to order a 40 hole rim for you.

I had a 40 spoke SA on Hercules bike.Someone might have a rim for one of those. :idea:

28" English Raleigh's would have 40 hole rims laced with an SA AW three speed in the rear... maybe find a pair of 40 hole 28" rims and make a really neat flip flop early track type bike? :wink:

SAILOR,no its not.Its got the same size threads on both sides.I dont know why they would do that.Most flip flop hubs are 2 different sizes.But I found a matching front hub for $40 bucks.Im not in a spot to buy that hub and hoops and spokes and get it built.So this is goin on the back burner.Man this hub in person is just beautiful!Its sitting next to my computer,I dont want to put it in the garge!Im afraid its gonna get messed up.hahaThat would be crazy bad to build an old style board track racer in 40 spoke,on 28s!

sailorbenjamin said:
Lots of old english bikes had a 40 rear, 26", 27" and 28".
On the flip side, is it threaded for a lock ring, fixy style?

Benjamin's got it right. I have a 71-ish Triumph, Raleigh built 26" 3-spd ladies
bike, Sturmey 40-hole 3-spd rear. Had a 36 hole front. Go figure.

A lot of Raleigh and their related brands got 40-hole rims. Should be an EA-3
26 x 1-3/8" rim... 590mm bead seat, not the Schwinn S-5/S-6 that's 597 mm.

I'm certain someone here would sell you a 40 spoke rim for cheap.

As for lacing one to a 36... I'm still trying to figure out if that would work. I guess
it could work if you're careful to keep it all even. Leave out 1 spoke, another at 180°
across from it, 2 in the same spots on the other side.

--Rob

Back