46 Viking badged Columbia, and a bonus 2 Newsboy frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I picked this up yesterday, not exactly sure why I had to have it though. Did fall in love with the 1 owner aspect I guess. Now a 2 owner history.
Was in a basement for years and turned over to a local bike shop for sale by the original owner.
Nice but, pitted dropcenters. Some rust cancer on the rear rim.....arggg!!
Does have a decent set of US Chain tires. Some minor cracking but plenty of tread left. I'm sure these will hold up for a few bike rides.
Has a real nice condition slider Persons seat. No rips which is amazing in itself I think for an original seat on a 1946 bike.
Great condition coke bottle grips.
Sure it's a girls bike and probably is why the seat is in great shape. And no flat spots from heavy skidding on the tires treads. And no damage to the grips.
The tires and seat was the draw to this pick. Those items alone made the buy worth it.
The badge is in great shape too. I do like the various Columbia badges that are on these bikes. I recently found out about the badge when a friend gave me an NOS one for my wife's vandalized 55 Columbia. And with a little help from Mr. Columbia for the badge identification.
Strange enough this has boys pedals....must have been a big footed young lady.

Before any cleaning
attachment.php

After a partial right side cleaning with WD40 & 0000...the paint has some rust spots but the black and white still popped.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then to sweeten the pick for the day, I found these 2 Newsboys (one with a Huffman skiptooth chainring)
attachment.php

Last edited:
More east coast Columbia's. I love those graphics. Columbia bikes are rare around here. I've never run across a boys Columbia ballooner in 20 plus yrs. of hunting old bikes. I'm 200 mi. south of Chicago and Schwinn had this area sewn up. Gary

Where did you score these ones? Wish it would warm up so I could start work on a couple of my projects. We need to do a RRB meet up soon to plan the spring bike show/swap.

Nice haul, really like the Columbia's !

~RafaeL~

Kim....Newport news

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I really like the hanging plate/badge on the black newsboy. Awesome find.

I understand those tags are used to ID the bike at the plants.....probably assigned to a certain division.
This looks like it came from the Naval shipyard in Newport News Va.

That's awesome. I had a G.M. shop bike at one time, and it had similar tags on it. "Property of General Motors/V8 South" and a serial number.

Maybe I need to have my sister in law keep an eye out for old bikes around Newport news lol. I wasnt into bikes when I lived in NN but I cant remember ever running across one either.

I'm down with a little help on the searches.
Here's my email
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back