'47 Schwinn built Lincoln DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

twomorestrokes

Barn fresh, literally. The farmer threw the original S2s on the fire to burn the tires off before it was caught. Set of eBay S2s and a pair of red bricks from Carlos here, and I'm almost ready to roll!
Fourtyseven_zps95e63177.jpg

Yes it's a brass Lincoln Bicycle Company head badge. Look in the classifieds for chimichanga's ad for the tires/ tubes. Best deal I've found and he's a great guy to buy from.

Color me ignorant but I've never heard of a, 'Lincoln' built bike. What exactly is that? I have a similar '47 or '48 DX. Nice find. Mine is an 'Our Own' hardware badged bike.

Not uncommon. I'd never heard of Lincoln Bicycle Company before this bike but Schwinn made bikes for several other companies like Firestone, etc. The bikes were pure Schwinn, even the paint scheme, but were re-badged.

twomorestrokes said:
Not uncommon. I'd never heard of Lincoln Bicycle Company before this bike but Schwinn made bikes for several other companies like Firestone, etc. The bikes were pure Schwinn, even the paint scheme, but were re-badged.

B.F. Goodrich, but not Firestone. Rebadged bikes went to retailers that wanted their own name on the bike. Very common before WW2, but ended after the war except for B.F. Goodrich. Gary

twomorestrokes said:

Lincoln Bicycle Company never existed. If you check out the Lincoln badge, It reads Chicago Cycle Supply Company. It was a Distributor for Lincoln badged Schwinns, They also sold other rebadged Schwinns, and I believe accessories as well.

Schwinn released the first balloon tire bikes in 1933, a tire that could roll over broken glass without a scratch. In 1934, the Schwinn Aero Cycle—designed after an airplane fuselage—had a tougher frame and cost double what the competition was charging. The department stores, where most bicycle sales took place, wanted nothing to do with the high-end ride. Schwinn got the Chicago Cycle Supply Company to distribute the new bicycle and told them not to sell to the chain stores. In 1932, the industry sold 194,000 bicycles in the U.S. In 1935, Schwinn sold 100,000 units by itself. And by the 1940s, Schwinn's production had reached almost 350,000 units annually.

http://www.re-cycle.com/History/History.aspx

B607 said:
twomorestrokes said:

B.F. Goodrich, but not Firestone. Rebadged bikes went to retailers that wanted their own name on the bike. Very common before WW2, but ended after the war except for B.F. Goodrich. Gary

You are correct about my Goodrich/ Firestone typo. At least I didn't say Yokohama bikes lol. Chicago Cycle is also correct. Thanks for the quick lesson. I collect Schwinns, but up till now they have all been middle weights and light weights. This is my first attempt at ballooners. This one rides nice!

1146749_10153148580735313_133175451_o.jpg

Back