'48 north of the 49th

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm liking the look of this project. The (off)white rims set it off. When I put my '53 together, I may just borrow that idea...

tall bars and necks

Wene I bought the--very tall--apes for one of my bikes, and by the way they can be pricey. they offered a shim set-- they are alloy and are to be used with a traditional neck. Well the leverage thats created by 20''+ is realy pushin' it--- for example--wene they are all torqued to the max. You can still make the bars flex --for and aft--That should tell you something. I used a schwinn--old school neck--but I am not sure those necks were designed to do any of this. Even if you can keep the bars in place,there is still a lot of additional stress on that neck. I'ts a math problem,and I'm not a math person but it goes like this--for every additional inch up--you are demanding more from that neck. The bike I have this set-up on is only riden by my 14 year old daughter, about 4 sundays out of the year. The rest of em' with tall bars are clamped down with bmx style necks and all is happy. Also--if one trys to go any higher than 25'' --It's almost foolish-unless everything is custom built of course!

Hooch said:
hey Multipass did you ever finish this one?

Not yet :oops:

It's still in bare metal awaiting it's turn in the paint booth. There was this pink, house painted Hollywood some guy in Iowa sold me that jumped the queue. THAT one is very nearly done. (I've an OG Schwinn springer coming for it)

-Mp

Hooch said:
them Iowa bikes sure do build slow up north hahaha everytime I sell one above Iowa it never seems to get done!

I resent the truthfulness of that statement!

The '48 is a great conversation starter - it lives in my cubicle at work.

Maybe I should just run it in bare metal? Rather than a showboat paint job? Or maybe gloss black with bare metal scallops?

-Mp

I used shims on these bars and they haven't slipped, but my bars arn't as tall as yours.

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

Latest posts

Back