48 spoke hub to 36 hole rim??? is it possible??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 spoke hub to 36 hole rim??? is it possible?? :?: cause i have some sweet profile hubs i really want to lace but haven't seen 26inch 48 hole rims
please help :!: :shock: :!: :shock: :!:

Tater said:
Sure you can if you don't mind grouping the spokes on the hub in clusters of three with an open hole between the clusters. It will involve two lengths of spokes as well. You are on your own as to calculating the required lengths.
He wants 48 spoke hubs on 36 hole rims. That would actually require drilling holes in the rim and would probably cause difficulty keeping the rim trued.

ozzmonaut said:
Tater said:
Sure you can if you don't mind grouping the spokes on the hub in clusters of three with an open hole between the clusters. It will involve two lengths of spokes as well. You are on your own as to calculating the required lengths.
He wants 48 spoke hubs on 36 hole rims. That would actually require drilling holes in the rim and would probably cause difficulty keeping the rim trued.

There is no drilling of anything required in his described scenario. Every fourth hole on the hub is left open/unused. Though it is not an elegant solution and not worth the effort IMO, it is workable

See this write-up about mismatched wheel/hub combos: http://sheldonbrown.com/mismatch/ Their example involves a 32hub/28rim lacing, but the same thinking applies to other combos where the hole count on the hub is greater than the hole count on the rim.

I am into re-lacing rims...but now my head hurts just trying to think about how to do that.

Back