'49 Schwinn B6 - Men's Ballooner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a very cool find, even though it is incomplete and dirty. It was in the far end of the garage attic/loft at my Mom's house with three other different bikes. She never paid any attention to those bikes that were already there when she bought the house in 1974.

The parts on this Schwinn appear to be all original and very solid but dirty/rusty. The serial number is F024815. It's blue and white and has a Lincoln head badge.

Is this site intended more for custom or vintage bike enthusiasts? Do you guys want more pics? I hope to sell the bike and/or parts to an enthusiast, collector, dealer, etc. Thanks for any info or comments. 8)

1949SchwinnB6.jpg

Re: 1949 Schwinn B6?

It appears to be what's left of a B model Schwinn. A B6 would have had a tank, fenderlight, and rear rack. It was the deluxe bike. Other B models had less equipment. It also looks like the frame has been repainted. You should be able to get somewhere between $100-$200 for it. Gary

B607,

So, the "6" in B6 is a model type in a series? Everything I've found is "Autocycle, B6, Black Phantom". I guess I'm working with a B"-2" from the looks of it. No wheels, fenders, light, tank, rack. I was already considering parting it out. The seat, handle bars, and springer fork are solid. The frame looks straight and undamaged.

I also noticed the sloppy lines of the white paint near the front of the frame. A closer look shows some imperfect lines around the head badge and again on the chain guard. It looks like the original blue was never repainted. I will be trying to find some local interest to sell for a fair price before considering the Internet. Vintage bikes are new to me.

Thanks for the expert advice! 8)

I have lived in the Ferndale/Royal Oak area of metro Detroit for most of my life and still do. Today, I took advantage of the recent mild weather. We haven't been above freezing here since just after Thanksgiving.

...Fixed truck windshield wiper arm, replaced truck battery, replaced hydraulic fluid in snow plow assembly... Now it's back to below freezing until March! 8)

i enjoyed it too. i'm in livonia. if you come up with a price, let me know, i may be interested. welcome to the site.

The front wheel for this tasty Schwinn was on the Huffy I found nearby. It is a Schwinn S2 rim with a Schwinn front brake hub and a Wards Riverside Mate 26 x 2.125 blackwall tire that held a Wards Riverside tube inside.

The rim has a small hole rusted through on part of the inside, and surface rust on the outside. Is this rim salvageable? One of the spokes is missing. Are spokes valuable or just replaceable? The hub seems just fine with only some surface rust. The tire has a flat spot but is not badly cracked or brittle and may still be usable. The tube is still holding the air from sometime in the late 60's or early 70's! Are vintage tubes in demand? That sounds crazy, I know. I'm hoping these parts may still be useful and worth selling. Thanks for helping a noob sort out the details! 8)

S2Rim.jpg

SchwinnHub.jpg

WardsTire.jpg

WardsTube.jpg

Back