5/8" seat post shim/adapter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey all,
Pardon my ignorance of true vintage bicycles, but is there some kind of shim or insert used for 5/8" seat posts?
I ask because I picked this post on eBay for a '40s 50s JC Higgins Colorflow'

Higgins7seatpost_zps1cbcd2af.jpg

I'd love to use it on my 56 Higgins, it appears to have the same frame as a Colorflow. But the seat tube is more like 13/16 or 7/8. Is there a piece that gets inserted like a shim to make up the difference?

Any/all help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dr. T

you could make a shim or something but the Colorflows had two seat post diameters. 5/8 like this and then 13/16. I cut a 13/16 seat tube and welded it to one of these for my recent Spaceliner build.

ResizedImage_1345225220811.jpg

I did the same for my Manton & Smith to use the seat I wanted.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
doerman,
It looks like Niagara is having issues.

Can you tell me what the product link is to? Maybe I could search for it directly.

Cheers,
Dr. T

lots of shims at niagara, but I didn't see any that do what you are looking for.

I just sold an old western flyer that had the shim. They are really thick, and the one I had fit over the top of the seat tube and at the top fit a 5/8" post. I think they were used on most of the prewar cwc frames. Basically it is a shim and the seat post clamp combined.

I recently used a socket extension I picked up at Tractor Supply on my Western Flyer. Long, chrome and strong!

Attachments

• IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back