5 hp Tecumseh Engine a moped & a Safti Cycle bike found the Tank & suggestions welcome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok I bought a Safti Cycle & a old lawn mower Late this past fall . I realized That the Lawn mower would need rings at the very least.. I then by luck bought a Moped at a local auction a few weeks later for the light & the Exhaust maybe the wheels & fork for my Safti Cycle build .
(The wheels & fork where a maybe to me because I wanted to keep this more bicycle than moped..) Then winter came in so I had no time to work on this . This week I came across this Tecumseh 5 hp motor Never used or fired in the original box !
The Engine will fit the frame perfectly I believe.. The mounting holes line up .. I will have to remove the tank & Id like to change out the Exhaust to the moped one I have providing I find a tube to mount to the exhaust port . I not sure if I'm going to use a centrifugal clutch ,or a belt drive with or with out a jack shaft ( I wont be able to know what I can or can't use until the engine is mounted & I can see how the shaft lines up with the frame . ) The Frame is 20 lbs the motor is 30 lbs ( Is the motor weight to frame weight ratio a issue? When I was originally going to run a 3 hp motor , I original intended to use 24 inch bicycle wheels with a OCC fork ,The weight is making me take a second long look at the moped wheels/ fork option.) I may shed a couple of motor pounds taking off the tank & exhaust. Any ideas or advise is appreciated even if its bad advice ..:39: I could really use some clutch/ gear teeth /And overall general drive train advise . The motor shaft is 3/4 & is keyed & has a bolt option at the end of the shaft. I will likely put this in the build section to help generate suggestions.Im going to try to figure out a way to ad a crank & sprocket so the bike can be pedaled This may be my build off bike if I can pedal it & I don't see myself doing any work other than gathering parts & planing a build until that time ..

I Found the Tank Yay ! That was luck.
DSC01111_zps7jgms2fi.jpg

The Frame & lawn mower I found in Oct.
DSC03400_zpse251d461.jpg

Can you say Hemi . The Motor with the 24 inch wheels I could use ?? I also have a multi speed 24 in disk brake wheel .
DSC08289_zps3f559f56.jpg

More Motor pics
DSC08296_zpsfe0fcadd.jpg

DSC08300_zpsa2aa93c3.jpg

The Moped I bought in Nov. for wheels Light Speedometer & Exhaust ( I bought this for parts but It may still run ?? )Then what do I do ? ( Sorry for crappy pics 4 feet of snow outside. )
DSC08302_zps8cd1d5c3.jpg

DSC08304_zps3474ee1f.jpg

DSC08301_zpsa8776271.jpg

Last edited:
Got my attention!
Thanks ! Feel free to tell me any suggestion you may have its pretty much a open canvas & this time I all over the place with ideas. My ideas are likely good & bad .Id like to rule out any bad idea before I get to far or waste money . (I keep thinking about the upside down tank )

One vote for the old lawnmower engine,just like the look of the old flatheads.Im working on a stretched worksman with a 3 hp briggs with jackshaft and a whizzer belt sheave. Just thowin out ideas.

Have to admit that Tecumseh motor fits that frame so well. maybe use the moped wheels and fork so you have good brakes, and drive sprocket already done. But you gotta at least TRY to start the mo ped.:D

One vote for the old lawnmower engine,just like the look of the old flatheads.Im working on a stretched worksman with a 3 hp briggs with jackshaft and a whizzer belt sheave. Just thowin out ideas.
I totally agree with the original look with the old school Briggs & I'm still thinking about it . The engine I picked up by luck will save me many of hours of labor on this build & it seems to fill the space frame well . I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the Tecumseh motor .I feel I could trade the tecumesh for any older engine Briggs in working order if the Tecumseh didn't work out. But once I put The tecumesh in the frame & I realized how really well it seems like its going fit .. Any one know how much 3 1/2 briggs weighs ? Falcondave did you do a build thread? Id like to take a look at it .Thanks for the input.

Have to admit that Tecumseh motor fits that frame so well. maybe use the moped wheels and fork so you have good brakes, and drive sprocket already done. But you gotta at least TRY to start the mo ped.:D
I wanted to keep this as much bicycle as possible .With that being said due to the motor being larger than I planed I'm taking a hard long look at the moped parts . Regarding the moped wheels They are 21ish in in size .The Safti Cycle frame originally ran 24 inch bicycle wheels & I have two murray old School wheels & a 24 inch Shimano 5 - 6 speed cog wheel with a disk brake . But I feel the axles may not be up for the challenge ? I have to say running the moped wheels would give me a better distance from the Exhaust port but it may not be necessay to have the extra clearance . The avaintage of running the 24s is making the bike a bit taller . Thanks for the reply & yes I will make a attempt to fire up the moped but I have no idea if its a runner ?:39:

Don't worry about the weight. That Tecumseh should be a good 10-15lbs lighter than the original Clinton motor which was mostly cast iron. You've also got an additional 3hp to help it move down the road. I'd clean up the garelli, get it running and post it on Craigslist for like $350-$400. I'd clean the carb, clean the ignition points through the window in the flywheel and put some fresh premixed fuel in there and see how it runs. There are several parts from the moped you could use (wheels, forks, handlebar controls) but I don't think it would be worth parting the bike out for just for those parts alone when you could sell it and buy the exact parts you want. If it was me I'd use a sealed bearing moped rear hub laced to the rim size you want (worksman 24" rims would be nice), and a harley hummer girder fork.

Don't worry about the weight. That Tecumseh should be a good 10-15lbs lighter than the original Clinton motor which was mostly cast iron. You've also got an additional 3hp to help it move down the road. I'd clean up the garelli, get it running and post it on Craigslist for like $350-$400. I'd clean the carb, clean the ignition points through the window in the flywheel and put some fresh premixed fuel in there and see how it runs. There are several parts from the moped you could use (wheels, forks, handlebar controls) but I don't think it would be worth parting the bike out for just for those parts alone when you could sell it and buy the exact parts you want. If it was me I'd use a sealed bearing moped rear hub laced to the rim size you want (worksman 24" rims would be nice), and a harley hummer girder fork.
Thank you for the helpful info I will likely try to fire up the moped once the 5 Feet of Snow out side is gone .( 5 feet of snow not at all normal here !! sorry had to vent for a sec.) I will likely use the parts I need for the cycle build from the Moped I see signs that the moped could be a parts bike it has bent crank arms a very empty fuel tank & no gas line .But who know it also could start on the first try .. I'm only into the moped for $75 bucks so its all good no matter what happens to it . I like the workman rim to moped hub idea I have also two early 1980s Murray steel bmx rims with thick brick tires..

You never know about auction stuff. Bought a home built log splitter, engine had no oil, no gas line and no recoil rope. Swapped out recoil, threw on a chunk of fuel line gas and oil - it smoked like crazy but ran and I split wood for like 5 years with it till it quit for good.:D

You never know about auction stuff. Bought a home built log splitter, engine had no oil, no gas line and no recoil rope. Swapped out recoil, threw on a chunk of fuel line gas and oil - it smoked like crazy but ran and I split wood for like 5 years with it till it quit for good.:D
I know auctions can be hit or miss on mechanical stuff . I bought a air compressor with a air chisel a impact wrench a Orbital da sander a cutting wheel tool + for $ 80.00 & Ive been using them ever since.

Back