$5 Huffy bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this guy for $5 last week garage saleing.Its actually not really too bad,it does ride ok.Tires are dry rotten but that's normal.Not sure what to do with it.I'm open to suggestions.
20210906_151139.jpg

The green does not look original color I'd probably think about blowing it apart and trying to find what's underneath, see if you can get the spray paint off. At minimum, I'd suggest trying to clean it off the crank. And then, throw whatever you want in it to give it those personal touches.

Maybe brillo or 000 steel wool and the right cleaner could remove the spray. Lol you are talking to the wrong guy about saving the original paint though, here's my latest:
IMG_20210905_181229348.jpg

As you can see, the original green did not survive.
IMG_20210905_181345778.jpg

*I used wire wheel, angle grinder, and sander. This was intentional

I could envision that old Huffy as the perfect light and aerodynamic basis for a cool scientific vintage flying bicycle project!

The immediate challenges I foresee with this idea of course is actually designing and building
a sizeable enough catapult to launch it.

Add a 3 spd coaster rear wheel and use it for a cool city bike.
Good looking bike for $5.

It's 26 x 1 3/8ths wheels, and I can't tell if that's a 3 speed chain hanging out from the axle. But if it's a one speed coaster, that's probably the best setup. I would remove the fender and chain guard and shine up the chain wheel and rims. The rims look like they are chrome but sprayed black. I would position the bike upside down and spin the wheels (hopefully they are true) and hold a flat blade like a screwdriver against the rim edge to chip off the black paint. Then just ride it without investing a penny.

Maybe brillo or 000 steel wool and the right cleaner could remove the spray. Lol you are talking to the wrong guy about saving the original paint though, here's my latest:
View attachment 172672
As you can see, the original green did not survive. View attachment 172673
*I used wire wheel, angle grinder, and sander. This was intentional
graffiti paint stripper sold in a spay can. whip it off with a rag. see if that saves the old paint. if no good sand prep and respray. what ever color you like. then flip the bars up side down. make a high speed cruiser . get it low to ground yet geared for speed.

Back