'50 Sturmey Archer Rear Wheel Alignment HELP!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my '36 I have date code stamped '50 Sturmey Archer front and rear drum 3 speed wheels.
I finally got the bike all cleaned up and took it for it's first real ride last night.
I didn't as much tap the rear wheel with my foot when taking off from a light and it threw the entire rear wheel out of alignment. Seized the rim/tire to the frame and ripped the shifter cable out of the chain link.
Once I figured out what happened I tried to move the wheel with my hands, but got to the point of being pissed off that I kicked the wheel and it popped back into place. I ended up having to walk the bike home as the tire kept on sliding back out of alignment and the hub was stuck in mid gear.
This is the second time that I had the wheel off and slid it out of alignment, the first time was not as bad just the tire was rubbing on the frame but on the opposite side.

Other than just eyeing the alignment, and tightening the axle nuts as good as my wrench will go. Does anyone have any tips? I have been reading that quiet a few people call the axle nuts a one time thread???

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have the little alignment washers in place? I think they were used on all Sturmey hubs. They fit in the axle slot and have serrations to grip the dropouts.

Back